3rd Rashtriya Poshan Maah being celebrated this month to address malnutrition among young children and women
The 3rd Rashtriya Poshan Maah is being celebrated this month to address malnutrition among young children and women. The objective of the Poshan Maah is to encourage Jan Bhagidaari to ensure health and nutrition for everyone.
- Poshan Maah is celebrated every year under POSHAN Abhiyaan, which was launched in 2018.
- Considering the prevalent COVID situation in the Country, the Ministry is encouraging all stakeholders to use digital platforms for celebrating Poshan Maah.
State of the Young Child in India Report
Recently, the State of the Young Child in India report has been released by Mobile Creches, a non-governmental organisation (NGO).
- The Young Child Outcomes Index (YCOI) and the Young Child Environment Index (YCEI) are parts of the report.
- It measures health, nutrition and cognitive growth of children in the 0-6 years age group with the help of indicators such as infant mortality rate, stunting and net attendance at the primary school level.
- Kerala, Goa, Tripura, Tamil Nadu and Mizoram are among the top five states for the well-being of children.
- Assam, Meghalaya, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar have scores below the country’s average.
Andhra Pradesh govt signs 8 MoUs with Food Processing companies
Aiming to boost the food processing sector, the Andhra Pradesh government on Friday signed 8 pacts with reputed global and domestic players including Netherland.
- The MoUs were signed in the presence of Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy at his camp office at Tadepalli, Amaravati. These MoUs will help the food processing sector of various agricultural products, including bananas, tomatoes, mangoes, sugar, chillies, vegetables, and aqua products.
Assam Assembly passes bill to protect state’s heritage sites
Assam Assembly passes bill to protect to protect various heritage sites of the state. The Assam Heritage (Tangible) Protection, Preservation, Conservation and Maintenance Bill, 2020 was passed by the state assembly to protect, preserve and restore tangible heritage, which are currently not covered under any national or state law.
- Following the passage of the bill, State Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal termed as a ‘historic’ step towards implementing the Clause 6 of Assam Accord. The bill has been drafted by by the Directorate of Archaeology, under the guidance of State Cultural Affairs (Archeology) Minister Keshab Mahanta.
Assam re-launches self-employment scheme SVAYEM worth Rs 1,000 crore
The state government of Assam re-launched an old scheme titled ‘Swami Vivekananda Assam Youth Empowerment (SVAYEM)’ on 4 September 2020, which aims to provide self-employment to around 2 lakh youths of the state.
- The SVAYEM scheme was launched by the government in 2017-18.
- This is the biggest self-employment programme launched by any government in Assam since Independence.
- The scheme has been re-launched with a budget of Rs 1000 crore.
Dwayne Bravo becomes cricket ambassador for “SBOTOP” sportsbook brand
West Indies cricket icon Dwayne Bravo has become the first cricket ambassador for “SBOTOP” sportsbook brand.
- Dwayne Bravo has represented West Indies in all formats of the cricket.
- He has represented the country in 256 test matches and 120 one-day-internationals and is also considered as one of the best ever ‘all-rounders’ of the sport.
WhatsApp Partners with CyberPeace Foundation to create awareness on cyber safety among students
The Facebook-owned WhatsApp has entered into a partnership with the cyber security think tank CyberPeace Foundation to create awareness on cyber safety among students.
- The awareness campaign has been launched under the “e-Raksha” programme and will be implemented in phases.
- In the first phase 15,000 students will be covered in five regions by the end of 2020. They include Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and Maharashtra.
- The need for this awareness campaign was felt as students spend more time online and so they become more vulnerable to cyber threats such as cyberbullying, stumbling across child abuse material, cybercriminals disrupting online classes, the spread of misinformation, privacy issues etc.
Summits and Conferences
35th FAO Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific 2020
The 35th Session of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific (APRC 35) was held virtual format due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Conference was held under the Chair of the Host Country, Bhutan. The Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Parshottam Rupala represented India in the conference.
- The conference focused on regional priorities and issues such as COVID 19, the state of agriculture, natural resources management, food security and nutrition.
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy.
- Head: Qu Dongyu.
- Founded: 16 October 1945.
Science & Technology
IIT Delhi incubated startup launches ‘‘Chakr DeCoV’’ to decontaminate N95 masks
The IIT Delhi incubated startup Chakr Innovation has launched a special decontamination device called ‘Chakr DeCoV’, to decontaminate N95 masks.
- The Chakr DeCoV device is designed in the shape of a cabinet.
- It is built with an innovative decontamination mechanism, which utilises the high penetrability of Ozone gas for cleaning the pores of the N95 mask, ensuring complete decontamination of its intricate layers.
BCCI announces schedule for IPL 2020 to be held in UAE
BCCI has announced the schedule for IPL 2020 to be held in UAE. The season will kickstart on 19th September in Abu Dhabi with a blockbuster clash between defending champions Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings.
- Dubai will host 24 games, 20 matches will be played in Abu Dhabi while the remaining 12 matches are scheduled to be played in Sharjah.
- The final of the tournament will be played on November 10. Venues for the playoff and the final are yet to be announced.
Pierre Gasly wins F1 Italian Grand Prix 2020
Pierre Gasly (Scuderia AlphaTauri, France) has won the Formula One Italian Grand Prix 2020 held at Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Italy. This is his first Grand Prix win. Carlos Sainz Jr. (McLaren, Spain) came second followed by Lance Stroll (Racing Point, Canada) in third place. Lewis Hamilton ended at 7th place after he earned a 10-second stop and go penalty.
England cricketer Ian Bell announces retirement
England cricketer, Ian Bell has announced that he will retire from all forms of cricket at the end of the 2020 domestic season. He made his debut in 2004. He played 118 Tests, 161 ODIs, and 8 T20Is for England. He retired from ODIs in 2015 to focus on Test cricket.
- He won five Ashes series out of seven. He was the Player of the Series in the 2013 series, where he scored 562 runs at an average of 62.44.
September 7: International Day of Clean Air for blue skies
The International Day of Clean Air for blue skies is observed globally on September 7th, 2020. The day aims to raise public awareness at all levels individual, community, corporate and government that clean air is important for health, productivity, the economy and the environment.
- It will raise public awareness at all levels. This includes community, individual, government and corporate.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- Director-general: Tedros Adhanom.
President and Prime Minister to address the Governors’ Conference on NEP-2020
President of India Shri Ram NathKovind and Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi shall address the inaugural session of the Governors’ Conference on National Education Policy through video conference.
- The Conference titled “Role of NEP-2020 in Transforming Higher Education” is being organized by the Ministry of Education, Govt of India.
- NEP-2020 is the first education policy of the twenty-first century which was announced after 34 years of the previous National Policy on Education 1986. NEP-2020 is directed towards major reforms in both school and higher education level.
JNCASR researchers develop diagnostic therapy for Lung Cancer
Lung cancer, the most common cause of cancer-related death worldwide, is tough to detect at early stages, making it difficult to treat. Scientists may soon have a solution in the form of diagnostic therapy for lung cancer which paves the way for personalized medicine.
- Recently researchers from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India, have developed a theranostics (diagnostic therapy) drug candidate for lung cancer.
- The research work funded jointly by DST, BRICS Multilateral R&D Projects grant, and SwarnaJayanti Fellowship Grant was published in the journal Theranostics.
Images sent by Chandrayaan-1 indicate possible impact of Earth’s atmosphere on Moon
Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and MoS Space, Dr Jitendra Singh said that ISRO’s maiden mission to the Moon has sent images which show that Moon may be rusting along the poles.
- The sign of this finding is that even though the surface of the Moon is known to have iron – rich rocks, it is not known for the presence of water and oxygen, which are the two elements needed to interact with iron to create rust, he said.
Shri Rajnath Singh holds meeting with Iran’s Minister of Defence in Tehran
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh held a bilateral meeting on 5th September 2020 with Iran’s Minister of Defence and Armed Forces Logistics, Brigadier General Amir Hatami, at the latter’s request. Raksha Mantri was on a transit halt in Tehran enroute from Moscow to New Delhi.
- The meeting between the two Ministers took place in a cordial and warm atmosphere. Both the leaders emphasized upon the age-old cultural, linguistic and civilizational ties between India and Iran. They discussed ways to take forward bilateral cooperation and exchanged views on regional security issues, including peace and stability in Afghanistan.
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel
|To Join Facebook||Click Here|