Govt launches Toll Free helpline KIRAN Helpline for people to seek mental health counselling
Union Minister Social Justice and Empowerment Thawarchand Gehlot launched a 24×7 toll-free mental health rehabilitation helpline ‘KIRAN’ (1800-500-0019). In a statement, the Ministry said the helpline had been launched “in view of the growing incidence of mental illness, particularly in the wake of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.”
- The helpline, which was developed by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), aims to provide the first line of counselling in response to the increasing mental health issues among people due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Click Here for More Details
About Social Justice and Empowerment:
- Union Minister – Thawarchand Gehlot
- Minister for State – Krishan Pal
PM Modi, Amit Shah begin “POSHAN Maah” Campaign against Malnutrition
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Minister started “POSHAN Maah” Campaign against Malnutrition”. Launching a social media campaign to promote “Poshan Maah”, PM and Home Minister stressed the importance of proper nutrition in building a prosperous nation and asked the people to contribute towards a malnutrition-free India.
- The Prime Minister also launched “Poshan Maah” recipe content and urged people to share the recipes of nutritious dishes on my government’s website.
- The competition, which aims to bring the nutrition discussion to the local level, invites citizens to come forward, share nutritional recipes and help create a healthier India.” Click Here for More Details
Tamil Nadu CM Edappadi Palaniswami launched portal for Eye Donation
Chief Minister Thiru Edappadi K Palaniswami has pledged to donate his eyes during National Eye Donation Fortnight in Tamil Nadu. The Chief Minister has initiated the state-led portal for eye donation enabling people who are willing to pledge to donate their eyes.
- Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami launched the website www.hmis.tn.gov.in/eye-donor designed by the National Health Mission Tamil Nadu to help donors. Besides, the website will be useful in creating a registry for eye donation in Tamil Nadu. Click Here for More Details
About Tamil Nadu:
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
Ranking & Index
Andhra Pradesh retains top in ease of doing business 2019 rankings
Andhra Pradesh retains top in ease of doing business rankings. Andhra Pradesh has topped in EoDP index for the third time in a row. The Report is a Joint Initiative by the Department for Promotion of Industries and Internal Trade (DPIIT) and the World Bank to improve the overall business environment in the States.
- This was the fourth edition of the report, which was released in 2015.
- The Ranking is based on the implementation of the business reform action plan 2019, according to a report released by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman. For More Details, Click Here
About Andhra Pradesh:
- Chief Minister – YS Jagan Mohan Reddy
- Governor – Biswa Bhusan Harichandan
NSO Survey- Kerala tops literacy rate at the Rate of 96.2%
As per new report based on National Statistical Office (NSO) survey, India’s overall literacy rate is an estimated 77.7 per cent, and the literacy rate in urban areas is 87.7 per cent as compared to 73.5 per cent in rural areas.
- With 96.2 per cent literacy, Kerala has once again emerged as the most literate state in the country, while Andhra Pradesh featured at the bottom with a rate of 66.4 per cent. Click Here for More Details
- Governor – Arif Mohammed Khan
- Cheif Minister – Pinarayi Vijayan
Fitch Ratings projects Indian economy to contract 10.5% this fiscal
Fitch Ratings projected a massive 10.5 per cent contraction of India’s economy in the current financial year. India recorded one of the sharpest gross domestic product (GDP) contractions in the world in April-June.
- India’s GDP shrank by a staggering 24 per cent year-on-year amid the imposition of one of the most stringent global nationwide lockdown. Click Here for More Details
- CEO: Paul Taylor
- Founder: John Knowles Fitch
- Headquarters – New York, United States
Summits & Conference
EAM S Jaishankar to attend SCO Foreign Ministers meet in Moscow
External Affairs Minister Dr. S Jaishankar will be attending the meeting of Council of Foreign Ministers of Shanghai Cooperation Organization to be held in Moscow on 9th and 10th of this month.
- This will be the third Council of Foreign Ministers, CFM meeting that India will be attending as a full member of SCO. Earlier two meetings were held in Beijing in April, 2018 and Bishkek in May, 2019. Click Here for More Details
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Secretary General: Vladimir Norov
Indira Gandhi Peace Prize 2019 presented to broadcaster David Attenborough
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday conferred the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize on British broadcaster David Attenborough at a virtual event. Congress President Sonia Gandhi was also present during the online award function.
- The prize is awarded to him for a lifetime of doing more to reveal the wonders of the natural world than perhaps any other individual
- The virtual award ceremony will be attended by Congress president and Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust chairperson Sonia Gandhi, former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Rahul Gandhi. Click Here for More Details
ADB & India Sign $500 Million Loan for Delhi-Meerut RRTS Corridor
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India today signed a $500 million loan, the first tranche of a total $1 billion facility, to build a modern, high-speed 82-kilometer Delhi-Meerut Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) corridor that will improve regional connectivity and mobility in India’s national capital region (NCR).
- The first tranche loan will support construction of the first of three priority rail corridors planned under the NCR Regional Plan 2021 to connect Delhi to other cities in adjoining states. Click Here for More Details
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Membership: 68 countries
Vodafone Idea launches a new brand Vi, recharge plans remain unchanged
Vodafone Idea launches a new brand Vi, recharge plans remain unchanged. Telecom giant Vodafone Idea has been rebranded in India as Vi. This rebranding cab is a part of the company’s efforts to reduce the cost of maintaining two brands.
- Vodafone Idea is owned by Vodafone plc and the Aditya Birla group. Vodafone has a 44.39 per cent shareholding in the JV while the Aditya Birla Group holds 27.66 per cent. The two partners have equal control in the board. Click Here for More Details
About Vodafone Idea:
- Founder: Kumar Mangalam Birla
- Founded: 31 August 2018
- Headquarters: Gandhinagar
- Parent organizations: Vodafone Group Plc, Aditya Birla Group
India becomes fourth country to successfully test hypersonic vehicle after US, Russia & China
India becomes fourth country to successfully test hypersonic vehicle after US, Russia & China. India successfully tested the indigenously developed Hypersonic Technology Demonstration Vehicle (HSTDV) that will power futuristic long-range missile systems and aerial platforms.
- The DRDO developed HSDTV was tested Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Launch Complex at Wheeler Island, off the coast of Odisha.
- The Test was led by DRDO chief Satheesh Reddy and his hypersonic missile team. The HSTDV performed on all parametres, including combustion chamber pressure, air intake and control guidance, the agency said. Click Here for More Details
- Headquarters: DRDO Bhavan, New Delhi
- Founded: 1958
International Literacy Day being celebrated on September 08
International Literacy Day being celebrated on September 08. Countries across the world celebrate International Literacy Day today. International Literacy Day-2020 will focus on Literacy teaching and learning in the COVID-19 crisis and beyond with a focus on the role of educators and changing pedagogies.
- The theme will highlight literacy learning in a life-long learning perspective and mainly focus on youth and adults.
- Theme for 2020 is- Literacy teaching and learning in the COVID-19 crisis and beyond. Click Here for More Details
Headquarters: Paris, France
Head: Audrey Azoulay
Founded: 16 November 1945.