14th August 2020 Current Affairs
India extends USD 1 million assistance to Antigua, Barbuda to combat COVID-19
India has extended an assistance of USD 1 million to Antigua and Barbuda to combat the COVID-19 outbreak.This assistance is aimed at improving health infrastructure and capacities in Antigua and Barbuda.
- The government of India has also provided 10,000 hydroxychloroquine tablets to the Government of Antigua and Barbuda as a gesture of goodwill in support of its fight against COVID-19.
- Indian High Commissioner KJ Srinivasa handed over the medical supplies and medicine to Prime Minister of Antigua and Barubuda, Gaston Browne.
About Antigua and Barbuda:
- Prime Minister– Gaston Browne
- Capital– Saint John’s
- Currency– East Caribbean dollar
National Expert Committee on Vaccine Administration for COVID-19 headed by Dr V K Paul
The Government has constituted a National Expert Group on Vaccine Administration for COVID-19, to oversee all the aspects of its COVID-19 vaccination plan, including the identification of the effective vaccine, buying and financing of the purchase, as well as its distribution and administration.
- The expert committee has been formed under the Chairmanship of by Dr V K Paul, Member Niti Aayog.
- The Secretary (Ministry of Health and Family Welfare) Rajesh Bhushan is the co-Chair of the committee.
- The committee met for the first time on 12 August 2020.
Education Minister launches Architectural Education Regulations, 2020
Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank has notified Council of Architecture (Minimum Standards of Architectural Education) Regulations, 2020 in New Delhi Virtually.
- The Regulations will come into effect from 1 November, 2020
- It will superseded 1983 Regulations. The New Regulations are prepared by Council of Architecture (CoA).
- As per this, Architecture course will have minimum duration of 5 academic years or 10 semesters of 90 days each.
India to provide USD 500 million assistance for connectivity project in Maldives
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar announced that the Indian government will fund the implementation of major connectivity project in the Maldives with USD 400 million line of credit and USD 100 million grant.
- The announcement was made after the Union External Affairs Minister had wide-ranging talks with Abdulla Shahid, his Maldivian counterpart.
- As per the officials, The 6.7 km Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP) will be the largest civilian infrastructure project in the Maldives, which will connect Male with three neighbouring islands- Gulhifahu, Villingili, Thilafushi.
Goa’s Moira bananas, Harmal Chillies, Khaje gets GI tag
Goa’s Harmal Chillies, Moira bananas & Khaje gets Geographical Indications(GI) from the Geographical Indications Registry. Harmal Chillies are grown only in Harmal village and adjacent areas of Pernem taluka- specifically in the coastal village of Arambol.
- Moira bananas are unique bananas grown in Moira village of Bardez taluka & Bicholim Taluka. Khaje, the traditional state sweet is an integral part of the Hindu jatras and Catholic feasts held in the state.
Odisha continues to be the Top Performer in AMRUT Scheme Ranking
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs recently released ranking of states under AMRUT scheme. Odisha has secured first position by scoring 85.67%.
- Nine cities of Odisha namely Bhubaneshwar, Sambalpur, Cuttack, Rourkela, Bhadrak, Balasore, Baripada, Berhampur and Puri were covered under the scheme. Around 2,400 kilo metres of pipeline laying has been completed in the state till date.
- AMRUT is Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation Scheme. The scheme aims to provide piped water supply to households in urban areas of the state. It also aims at construction of sewerage treatment plants and improving green spaces in the cities.
Israel Successfully tested its Arrow-2 Ballistic Missile Interceptor
Israel Defence Minister Benny Gantz, announced that Israel has successfully tested their advanced missile defence system, Arrow-2, a ballistic missile interceptor, which serves as the top tier integrated Israeli shield built to withstand various missile salvoes, was built with the support of the United States of America.
- The Missile test was conducted in the test site in Central Israel over the Mediterranean Sea.
- Prime Minister– Benjamin Netanyahu
- Capital– Jerusalem
- Currency– Israeli New Shekel
Federal Bank Partnered with Fiserv, Inc. to Support Launch of their 1st Independent Credit Card, ‘Federal Bank Credit Card’
Federal Bank has partnered with Fiserv, Inc. to enable the digitization of it’s end-to-end card issuance and processing cycle to support the launch of the Federal Bank credit card, their 1st Independent Credit Card.
- The integrated technology and BPO solution reduce cost of ownership and provide a seamless extension to the bank’s operations.
- The Federal Bank will utilise Fiserv’s FirstVision, an end-to-end managed services solutions which enable card issuance and processing with global economies of scale and integrated capabilities that span the card lifecycle.
About Federal Bank:
- Headquarters– Aluva, Kerala
- MD & CEO– Shyam Srinivasan
CCI approves formation of joint venture between HAMCL & HL
The proposed combination filed by Keihin Corporation, Nissin Kogyo Co., Ltd., Showa Corporation and Hitachi Automotive Systems, Ltd has received the approval from the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- The two companies have filed for the formation of a Joint Venture between Honda Motor Co. Limited (HAMCL) and Hitachi Limited (HL).
- Chairperson – Ashok Kumar Gupta
Indian Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘Sarthak’ launched
An Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV) for the Indian Coast Guard has been launched and re-christened as Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Sarthak’.
- Sarthak is the 4th in the series of five OPVs deployed by the Coast Guard to enhance maritime security. It has been designed and built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Limited in line with the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of ‘Make in India’.
- It will be deployed extensively for EEZ surveillance, Coastal Security and other duties.
- Director General – Krishnaswamy Natarajan
Former RBI Deputy Governor SS Mundra appointed as non-executive chairman of Indiabulls Housing Finance
Former RBI deputy governor, Subhash Sheoratan Mundra has been appointed as non-executive chairman of Indiabulls Housing Finance (IBH) with immediate effect. He had joined the board of IBH in 2018 as an independent director.
- Mundra had joined the board of IBH in 2018 as an independent director.
- Headquarters – Gurugram
- Founded – 2005
Books & Authors
Book titled “Our Only Home: A Climate Appeal to the World” by Dalai Lama
The Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, has penned a new book on climate change titled titled “Our Only Home: A Climate Appeal to the World”.
- The book will be released in November 2020. It has been published by Hanover Square Press.
- In his latest book, Dalai Lama calls on political decision makers to fight against deadlock and ignorance on the issue of climate change and to stand up for a different, more climate-friendly world and for the younger generation to assert their right to regain its future.
Malayalam poet-lyricist Chunakkara Ramankutty passes away
Malayalam poet-lyricist, Chunakkara Ramankutty passed away. He wrote over 215 songs for 76 movies.
- His career peaked in 1984 when he wrote 32 songs in that year. He is a recipient of Guru Shreshta Award of Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi in 2015.
- Some of the his hit songs include ‘Syamameghame nee’ (Adhipan), ‘Sindoorathilakavumayi’ (Kuyiline thedi), ’Nee Arinjo Mele Manath’ (Kandu Kandarinju), ‘Hridayavaniyile gayikayo’ (Kottayam Kunjachan).
World Organ Donation Day is observed on 13 August
The World Organ Donation Day is observed globally on 13th August every year.
- Organ donation is retrieving a donor’s organ like heart, liver, kidneys, intestines, lungs, and pancreas after the donor is deceased and then transplanting into another person who is in need of an organ.
- The day provides an opportunity to come forward and pledge to donate their organs after death which will save the lives of various people. About organ donation, there are myths and fears in people’s minds due to a lack of awareness.
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel
|To Join Facebook||Click Here|