15th, 16th & 17th August 2020 Current Affairs
Indian Railways constructing world’s tallest pier bridge across river Ijai in Manipur
Indian Railways is constructing the world’s tallest pier bridge in Manipur. The bridge which is being constructed across river Ijai near Noney is an engineering marvel because the tallest pier height will be 141 meter.
- It will surpass the existing record of 139 meter of Mala – Rijeka viaduct, Montenegro in Europe.
- The bridge is a part of Jiribam-Tupul-Imphal new BG line project. The total length of the bridge will be 703 meter. The piers of the bridge are constructed using hydraulic augers, the tall piers needed specially designed “slip-form technique” to ensure efficient and continual construction.
About Indian Railways:
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 16 April 1853, India
- Railway Minister- Piyush Goyal
PM Modi launched National Digital Health Mission
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM). Every Indian will have an Aadhar like ID card containing all relevant information about his/her medical conditions and treatments and tests.
- Addressing the nation from the ramparts of the Red Fort on Independence Day, Mr Modi said that the initiative which is completely technology based will revolutionise the health sector in India.
- The vision of National Digital Health Mission is to create a national digital health ecosystem which provides timely and efficient access to inclusive, affordable, and safe healthcare to all citizens.
Central government to launch projects for lion, dolphin conservation
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 15, 2020, announced that the centre has been planning to launch Project Lion and Project Dolphin to replicate the success of Project Tiger.
- The projects will be launched by the central government for the biodiversity conservation of these species. PM Modi informed about these projects in his Independence Day Speech 2020.
- It was also informed that Project dolphin will focus on both the sea and river dolphins which will also give a boost to biodiversity and will create employment opportunities. This will also become a centre of attraction for tourism.
MoS for External Affairs: India Signs MoU with Nigeria on Space Cooperation
Government of India signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on space cooperation with the Federal government of Republic of Nigeria at the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The MoU enhances the Socio economic development, space exploration, environmental safety and trade between India and Nigeria.
- President– Muhammadu Buhari
- Capital– Abuja
- Currency– Nigerian naira
India aims to have zero road fatalities by 2030: Nitin Gadkari
Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Jairam Gadkari while addressing the Indo-Australian Chamber of Commerce and Womennovator on Trade Investment and collaborations in Road infrastructure, has underlined India’s initiatives to achieve Zero Road Fatalities by 2030.
- India reported the world’s highest road accidents in 2018 with 4.67 lakh accidents claiming 1,51,417 lives. Human errors, road environment and poor condition of roads were the main reasons for accidents.
About Ministry of Road Transport and Highways:
- Union Minister – Nitin Jairam Gadkari
- Minister of State (MoS) – General Vijay Kumar Singh
India sends 58 metric tonnes of emergency humanitarian aid to Lebanon
India sent 58 MT of emergency humanitarian aid, including crucial medical and food supplies to Lebanon.
- Lebanon suffered from a deadly explosion that ravaged the Labanese capital of Beirut.
- The Government has sent a separate consignment of personal protective equipment, including surgical gloves and surgical gowns.
- The aid was dispatched in a C-17 heavy-lift aircraft of the Indian Air Force in response to an assessment of requirements by the Lebanese authorities.
Delhi Govt Signed MoU with Bloomberg Philanthropies to Enhance Road Safety
The Delhi government, in a bid to enhance road safety in the national capital, on 13th August 2020 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bloomberg Philanthropies, joining30 world cities in the initiative for global road safety.
- The initiative will cover various aspects of road safety includingenforcing laws on speeding, drunken driving, wearing helmets and seat belts, and designing andbuilding safer roads and transportation systems.
PM Modi to inaugurate Atal Tunnel by September 2020
The Himachal Pradesh Chief Minsiter Jai Ram Thakur announced that Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate “Atal Tunnel” by the end of September 2020.
The tunnel is being built under Rohtang Pass in the Pir Panjal range on the Leh-Manali highway.
It is located at 3,100 metres above the sea level. The length of the tunnel is 8.8 kilo metres. The route is important as it feeds military supplied to the military sub sector that are located in Siachen Glacier and Aksai Chin.
Banking & Finance
HDFC Bank launches “Shaurya KGC Card” for armed forces
HDFC Bank has launched “Shaurya KGC (Kisan Gold Credit) Card” for the armed forces.
- A first of its kind product for over 45 lakh Indian armed forces personnel.
- It is based on the Kisan Credit Card guidelines by the govt.
- The credit card comes with a life cover of Rs 10 lakh as against Rs 2 lakh for an average card
- This is a part of the bank’s “Har Goan Hamara” intiative.
PNB launches ‘DIGITAL APNAYEN’ campaign to promote digital banking
Punjab National Bank has launched a campaign named ‘DIGITAL APNAYEN’ to encourage customers to use digital banking channels. The campaign launched by the bank’s Managing Director S S Mallikarjuna Rao on the occasion of Independence Day is till March 31, 2021.
- PNB encourage customers to use digital channels and participate in the noble cause of donating to the PM CARES Fund for COVID-19.
- PNB Headquarters: New Delhi.
- PNB Founded: 19 May 1894, Lahore, Pakistan.
Former RBI Deputy Governor Subhash Sheoratan Mundra Appointed as Non-Executive Chairman of Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd
Indiabulls Housing Finance Limited(IBH) appointed Former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Deputy Governor Subhash Sheoratan Mundra (SS Mundra) as its Non-Executive Chairman with immediate effect.
- He served as the Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) from July 31, 2014 -July 31, 2017.
- He has served as Chairman & Managing Director Bank of Baroda, Executive Director of the Union Bank of India, Chief Executive of European Operations Bank of Baroda (UK).
About Indiabulls Group:
- Headquarters – Gurugram
MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina quit International Cricket
Former Indian Cricket Team Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni announced his retirement from International Cricket. In a social media post, he thanked everyone for their immense support and love throughout his career.
- He became the first and is still the only captain till date to have won all three ICC Trophies i.e. ICC World T20, ICC Cricket World Cup and the ICC Champions Trophy.
- He is also considered as the quickest man behind the wicket, as he has 195 international stumpings under his name, which is the most by any wicket-keeper in the world.
- Suresh Raina, another Indian Cricketer has also announced his retirement from International Cricket. In a social media post, he said, it was always a pleasure to play along with Dhoni and following Dhoni’s retirement, he also chose to retire from International Cricket.
Lewis Hamilton wins F1 Spanish Grand Prix 2020
Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the Formula One Spanish Grand Prix 2020 held at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Spain.
- This was his 4th win of the season and the 88th win of his career. Max Verstappen (Red Bull–Netherlands) came second followed by Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) at third.
Books & Authors
Book “A Bend in Time: Writings by Children on the Covid-19 pandemic” by Bijal Vachharajani Released
A book titled “A Bend in Time: Writings by Children on the COVID 19 Pandemic” was released in July 2020, the introduction of which is written by award-winning children’s author Bijal Vachharajani. The book is published by Talking Cub (children’s imprint of Speaking Tiger).
- Bijal Vachharajani is the winner of the AutHer Children’s Book Award 2020 and also named in the Parag Honour List 2020 of TATA Groups.
Former Indian cricketer and Uttar Pradesh Minister Chetan Chauhan passes away
Former Indian cricketer and Uttar Pradesh minister Chetan Chauhan passed away today. He was 73.
- Chauhan was Minister of Sainik Welfare, Home Guards, PRD and Civil Security in the UP Cabinet.
- He was honoured with the Arjuna Award in 1981. Chauhan was twice elected to the Lok Sabha from Amroha in Uttar Pradesh, in 1991 and 1998.
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel
|To Join Facebook||Click Here|