16th October 2020 Current Affairs
The Union Minister of State for Shipping, Mansukh L Mandaviya has declared that Director-General Shipping will be the final authority for various approvals that are required by the state governments and ship-recycling yard-owners. The DG Shipping has been designated as the apex authority for the ship recycling industry of India under Section 3 of the Recycling of Ships Act, 2019.
- DG Shipping is authorized to administer, supervise and monitor all activities relating to Ship Recycling.
About Ministry of Shipping:
- Union Minister: Mansukh L. Mandaviya
Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has appointed high level Central teams to five states of India. The Five States are Kerala, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and West Bengal. These States have been reporting a high number of new COVID cases in the recent days.
The High Level Team consists of:
- Each team consists of a Jt. Secretary who is a nodal officer for the respective State,
- One public health expert to look after the public health aspects,
- One clinician to look after infection prevention practices
- Clinical management protocol being followed by the State.
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr Harsh Vardhan, has governed an inter-sectoral meeting with Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and senior diplomats of other ministries on October 15, 2020. The meet was held in order to build a ‘Whole of Government’ approach to achieve the ‘Vision 2050’ of the Eat Right India Movement.
- Cases of obesity has doubled in the in between 2005-2015. It has increased from 9.3% to 18.6% among males and from 12.6% to 20.7% among females.
- According to the Data, 50% of women and children also suffer from anaemia.
- The Economic cost of food borne diseases in India has been estimated to be dollar 15 billion.
SCALE India Android App launched by Leather Sector Skill Council for Leather Employees
Leather Sector Skill Council (LSSC) initiated the SCALE India Android App to provide a single platform to integrate quality assurance across all services. The android app was launched by Union Minister Dr. MahendraNathPandey.
- The Main objective of this initiative is to provide a one-stop solution for the skilling, learning, assessment and employment needs of the leather and leather products industry.
About Leather Sector Skill Council:
- Chairman: Aqeel Ahmed
- Parent Ministry: Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
On FAO’s 75th Anniversary, PM Narendra Modi releases commemorative coin of Rs 75
On the occasion of 75th Anniversary of Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) on 16 October Prime Minister Narendra Modi released the commemorative coin of Rs 75 denomination to mark the long-standing relation of India with Food and Agriculture Organisation.
- He also dedicated 17 recently developed biofortified varieties of eight crops to the nation.
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy
- Head: Qu Dongyu
Webinar on 4th India Agricultural Outlook Forum 2020
Union Ministry of Agriculture organised 4th India Agricultural Outlook Forum 2020 Webinar. The Webinar was addressed by Minister of State for Agriculture, Shri Parshottam Rupala inaugurated the Webinar on 4th India Agricultural Outlook Forum 2020.
- The main objective of this webinar is to strengthen all activities and services in agriculture, horticulture and allied sectors
About Agriculture & Farmers Welfare:
- Union Minister: Narendra Singh Tomar
- Minister of State: Parshottam Rupala
Union Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal launched KAPILA Kalam Program
On the occasion of 89th birth anniversary of former President and Scientist Late Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launched the KAPILA Kalam Program for Intellectual Property Literacy and Awareness campaign.
- Intellectual Property Literacy Week, is also organized from October 15th to October 23, in which online awareness will be created about the system and the importance of the process of applying for a patent.
About Education Ministry:
- Union Minister: Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
- Minister of State: Dhotre Sanjay Shamrao
Country’s First International Institute of Advanced Virology inaugurated in Kerala. The State Chief Minister , Pinarayi Vijayan , inaugurated the operations of the first phase of the International Institute of Advanced Virology at the Life Science Park at Thonakkal in Thiruvananthapuram district.
- The institute operates under the Department of Science and Technology which is a department within the Ministry of Science and Technology
- The institute will do the research on various viruses, viral infections and review its clinical aspects.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
My Family, My Responsibility – COVID19 Awareness campaign launched in Udupi District, Karnataka
Karnataka State Government has initiated My Family, My Responsibility campaign in Udupi District.
- The campaign is an awareness campaign to give a sense of responsibility among the family members to be vigilant about the spread of Corona virus.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yediyurappa
Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath “hath dhona, roke corona” campaign on Global Handwashing Day
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched “hath dhona, roke corona” campaign Global Handwashing Day. This campaign was launched to give the awareness of sanitation practices on the occasion of Global Handwashing Day.
- On the Global Handwashing Day, Special Handwashing programs were organised in all the districts of Uttar Pradesh.
About Uttar Pradesh:
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
Apollo Hospitals collaborated with HDFC Partners to initiate ‘The HealthyLife Programme’ for its customers
HDFC Bank has partnered with Apollo Hospitals to launch The HealthyLife Programme which is for HDFC Bank Customers, customers, to make healthy living accessible and affordable while making the process convenient and easy for the customers.
- The initiative was launched digitally by Mr. Aditya Puri, Managing Director, HDFC Bank and Dr. Prathap C. Reddy, Chairman, Apollo Hospitals Group.
About HDFC Bank:
- CEO: Aditya Puri
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: August 1994, India
IKEA launches ”IKEA Family Credit Card by Citi” in partnership with Citibank India and Mastercard
Citibank India partnered with Mastercard jointly announced the launch of ”IKEA Family Credit Card by Citi”. This Card is launched by IKEA.
- The aim of this initiative is to make shopping at the Swedish furnishing company more affordable, convenient and rewarding.
- This card provides instant in-store card bookings, direct payments via Bharat QR, accelerated reward points and attractive EMIs and will also offer reward points on all purchases with instant reward redemption at IKEA.
Indian Bank signed MoU with Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry & SIDBI for Street Vendors under SVANidhi Scheme
Indian Bank Signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry and Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) for for payment of subsidy to street vendors under Central Government’s SVANidhi Scheme.
- Under this MoU, Indian Bank has developed an integrated online system to make payments of interest subvention and cash incentives to all street vendor-beneficiaries across the country through the Direct Benefit Transfer.
India has appointed Vice President of Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (International organisation that works to build better policies for better lives) Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) Working Group. This appointment is to recognize the contribution of the Indian GLP programme.
- The Organisation has admitted the contribution of the Indian GLP program and appointed Dr. Ekta Kapoor, Scientist E, as the Vice President of the OECD Working Group on GLP for 2021 and 2022.
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Founded: 30 September 1961
Chief Secretary of Tamil Nadu K.Shanmugam gets three months extension
Central Government approved three month extension of K.Shanmugam Who is a Chief Secretary of Tamil Nadu gets 3 month extension. He is belongs to 1985 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) Officer.
- This is his second extension of service following a 3 month extension. He was appointed to this position on August 13,2019.
About Tamil Nadu:
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
CMD of NTPC Gurdeep Singh, Gets Extension till July 2025
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has extended the tenure of state run NTPC Ltd chairman and managing director, Gurdeep Singh till 31 July 2025.
- NTPC is an Indian Public Sector Undertaking, engaged in the business of generation of electricity and allied activities.
- He was appointed as the CMD of NTPC in February 2016.
- Founded: 1975
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh presents Raksha Mantri Trophy for Best Command Hospitals
Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh presented Raksha Mantri Trophy for the Best and Second Best Command Hospitals for the year of 2019.
- Command Hospital (Air Force) Bengaluru and Command Hospital (Eastern Command) Kolkata were awarded as the Best and Second Best Command Hospital for the year 2019 respectively.
About Defence Ministry:
- Union Minister: Raj Nath Singh
- Minister of State: Shripad Yesso Naik
Aishwarya Sridhar is the first Indian woman to win at the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award
Indian wildlife photography as Aishwarya Sridhar bagged Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award in the adult competition by making her the youngest and first girl to win the coveted award from India in the Adult competition.
- The 56th Wildlife Photographer of the Year awards were announced by the Natural History Museum, London. Aishwarya Sridhar won among 50,000 entries from over 80 countries around the world.
India will hand over its Kilo Class Submarine named INS Sindhuvir to Myanmar Navy. This move is one of the part of India’s vision of SAGAR (Security and Growth for All in the Region). This will be the first submarine of the Myanmar Navy.
- Previously, nearly 40 such submarines were exported to several countries including Algeria, India, Russia, Romania, China, Poland, Iran, and Vietnam.
- It belongs to a class of diesel-electric attack submarines built by the Soviet Union during the Cold War years.
- Capital: Naypyitaw
- President: Win Myint
- Currency: Burmese kyat
Former New Zealand All Rounder John R Reid dies
John Richard Reid, former New Zealand cricketer, and allrounder passed away at the age of 92 years in Auckland. He was the country’s first cricketing captain to achieve victory, both at home against the West Indies in 1956, and the first away win, against South Africa in 1962.
- He was also New Zealand’s oldest surviving Test player. Reid was the first cricketer to lead New Zealand to a Test victory.
India’s First Oscar Winner Bhanu Athaiya, Passed Away
Popular Costume Designer Bhanu Athaiya Passed away. Athaiya won the Best Costume Design Oscar for her work in the 1982 film Gandhi which is directed by Richard Attenborough.
- The designer also released her own book titled ‘The Art of Costume Design’ in 2013 which was published by Harper Collins.
- In 2012, Athaiya returned her Oscar to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for safe-keeping.
Union Minister Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated India – International Food and Agri Week 2020. This week is celebrated from 16th to 22nd October 2020. This week is jointly organized by CII and Union Agriculture Ministry.
- The Ministry has started an awareness campaign named ‘Anna Devo Bhava’ to mark this occasion.
- Indian food processing sector is 32% of India’s food market
- India also set target to double the income of farmers by 2022.
- The Objective of this week is to use of technology in the field of food and agriculture sector to increase the income of farmers.
About Agriculture Ministry:
- Union Minister: Narendra Singh Tomar
- Minister of State: Parshottam Rupala
Every year World Food Day is observed on October 16. This day also marks the foundation of Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) which is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger and improve nutrition and food security on October 16, 1945.
- The theme for this year’s World Food Day 2020 is “Grow, Nourish, Sustain. Together. Our actions are our future”
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy
- Head: Qu Dongyu
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945
- Secretary General: Antonio Guterres
Every year World Anaesthesia Day is observed on October 16. It is also called World Anaesthesia Day, National Anaesthesia Day or Ether Day. The Objective of this day is to mark the first successful demonstration of diethyl ether Anaesthesia.
- The discovery made it possible for patients to obtain the benefits of surgical treatment without the pain associated with an operation.
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel
|To Join Facebook||Click Here|