India to soon have dedicated vaccine portal: ICMR
India will soon have a dedicated vaccine portal, announced the country’s top medical research body – the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- The ICMR is currently working to develop India’s first-ever vaccine portal that will serve as a repository for all information related to vaccine development in India. The ICMR vaccine portal will reportedly be made public by next week.
- The vaccine portal will fetch information related to the COVID-19 vaccine from the World Health Organisation (WHO) as available on their website.
India granted 4th Tranche of US$5mn to Myanmar for India-Myanmar Border Area Development
India granted 4th tranche of $5 million to Myanmar for the development of the India-Myanmar Border Area. In this regard, the Indian Ambassador to Myanmar Saurabh Kumar handed over the ceremonial cheque to Lt-Gen Ye Aung, Minister for Border Affairs, Myanmar.
- This funding is on the lines of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed by ex-Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh in 2012 according to which India would grant a total of $25 million to Myanmar, divided into five tranches of $5 million each annually, starting 2017, for projects on India-Myanmar border.
- Capital– Naypyitaw
- Currency– Burmese kyat
- President– Win Myint
Fourteenth India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue held
The 14th India-Singapore Defence Policy Dialogue (DPD) was held on 27th August via video conferencing. The meeting was co-chaired by Defence Secretary Dr. Ajay Kumar and Permanent Secretary (Defence), Singapore Mr. Chan Heng Kee.
- The officials discussed on a number of issues of bilateral defence engagements between India and Singapore.
- The Singapore-India Defence Policy Dialogue was established under the revised Defence Cooperation Agreement signed in 2015.
China launches most advanced warship for Pakistan Navy
China’s help to launch the Type-054 class frigate for Pakistan is a clear indication that both countries are strengthening their military might to counter India
- China is expected to deliver all the four warships to Pakistan by 2021
- The Warship is fitted with the latest surface, subsurface, anti-air weapons, combat management system and sensors and will be one of the technologically-advanced surface platforms of the Pakistan Navy Fleet.
- Prime Minister – Imran Khan
- Capital – Islamabad
- Currency – Pakistani Rupee
- President – Xi Jinping
- Capital – Beijing
- Currency – Renminbi
51st IFFI to be held in Goa from Nov 20
51st International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will be held in Goa, from November 20th to 28th. This film festival is a hybrid film festival due to COVID 19, would screen films on the official digital platform along with the theatrical screenings.
- Capital: Panaji.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
- Chief Minister: Pramod Sawant.
India’s first International Women Trade Centre to be set up in Kerala
Kerala is to set up its first International Women Trade Centre in terms of the United Nations Sustainable Development goals. This is first of its kind in India.
- The Centre will accelerate women entrepreneurship. It will provide a safe place away from home to start a business, expand and get their products marketed globally. The Women Trade Centre will enable women entrepreneurs to participate in international trade, enhance competitiveness, and enjoy greater economic benefits.
SBI to Receive Human Capital Management Excellence Award 2020 for its HR initiative, “Nayi Disha”
State Bank of India (SBI) to receive Brandon Human Capital Management(HCM) Excellence Award(also known as the Academy Awards of Learning & Development)2020, a global recognition for its HR initiative, ”Nayi Disha”.
- The award winners will be honored at Brandon Hall Group’s annual HCM Excellence Conference, January 26-28, 2021 at the Hilton West Palm Beach, Florida.
- SBI has won the award in The HCM Spring Program under ‘Excellence in Learning and Development’ in 3 categories.
- Headquarter– Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman– Rajnish Kumar
Reliance Retail to acquire Future Group’s retail, wholesale businesses for Rs 24,713 crore
Reliance Retail Ventures Limited (RRVL) announced on August 29, 200 that it is acquiring the retail, wholesale business, logistics and warehouse business of Future Group for Rs 24,713 crore.
- The acquisition is a part of Future Group’s decision of merging certain companies and carrying on the businesses into Future Enterprises Limited (FEL). Reliance Retail Ventures Limited is a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited.
Summits & Conference
17th ASEAN-India Economic Ministers Consultations held
The ASEAN-India Economic Ministers Consultations was held virtually. India was represented by the Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Shri Piyush Goyal.
- The meting was attended by the commerce ministers of the 10 ASEAN countries. This included Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei, Myanmar, Cambodia and Philippines.
- The ASEAN-India Business Council report was submitted during the meeting. The report had recommended to review the AITIGA. AITIGA is ASEAN India Trade in Goods Agreement.
The AITIGA is a free trade agreement between the ten ASEAN members and India. It was signed in 2010. According to the agreement, the partners have set a time line to eliminate duties on as much goods as possible.
Science & Technology
CISF launches mobile app ‘Pension Corner’ for its retired personnels’
The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) has launched a mobile application ‘Pension Corner’ to cater to the needs of all its retired personnels.
- With the help of this new digital initiative, pensioners will get connected to the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) units spread across the country, and receive invitations, over SMS, on important occasions in the nearest unit.
- The in-house built app has been developed as part of an e-office initiative introduced in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Headquarters– New Delhi, India
- Director General– Rajesh Ranjan
Ranking & Index
India Ranked 72nd on Global List with Average Monthly Wage of Rs 32,800, Switzerland Tops: Picodi.com
In accordance with the global ranking of average wages prepared by Picodi.com, India ranked 72nd among 106 countries with an average monthly wage of Rs 32,800 (USD 437). Picodi.com is an international e-commerce platform, headquartered in Poland, provides discount coupons.
- The ranking has been topped by Switzerland, where the average wage converted into rupees amounts to Rs 4,49,000 (USD 5,989).
- Among Asian countries, India ranked 10th out of 16.
Sri Lankan cricketer Tharanga Paranavitana retires
Sri Lankan Opening batsman, Nishad Tharanga Paranavitana has announced retirement from all forms of International Cricket. He has represented Sri Lanka in 32 Test Matches scoring 1792 runs including two hundreds and 11 fifties.
- Paranavitana made his debut against Pakistan in February 2009 and played his final game for the national team in November 2012. He is Sri Lanka’s highest ever run-getter in first-class cricket with 12,522 runs.
International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances: 30 August
United Nations observes International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances globally on 30th of August every year.
- The day is being observed to express deep concern about the rise in enforced or involuntary disappearances in different regions of the world including the incidents of arrest, detention and abduction.
- All of the above incidents results in increasing number of reports pertaining to harassment, ill-treatment and intimidation of witnesses of disappearances or relatives of persons who have disappeared.
Measurement and monitoring of water supply to be done under Jal Jeevan Mission
India is one of the most vibrant IoT eco-systems in the world, with various supporting enablers making it conducive for companies looking to serve global demand beyond national boundaries.
- Government of India has introduced different policies and initiativesto leverage the benefits of these disruptive IoTtechnologies in multiple sectors.
- To harness the initiatives like Atmanirbhar Bharat, Digital India and Make in India, the Jal Jeevan Mission will be creating a smart rural water supply eco-system to measure and monitor the service delivery of the water suplly in rural areas.
IIT Bombay students launch Indian alternative to Scanning Apps
Here comes an indigenous alternative to Chinese document-scanning apps, following Government of India’s decision to ban 59 mobile apps which were prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India.
- AIR Scanner, a free-of-cost mobile application, has been developed Rohit Kumar Chaudhary and Kavin Agrawal, two final-year B.Tech students in the Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Bombay. Their inspiration comes from Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s clarion call for an Aatma Nirbhar Bharat.
Finance Minister to Review with Scheduled Commercial Banks and NBFCs, the implementation of the resolution framework for COVID-19 related stress in bank loans
Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman will review with the top management of Scheduled Commercial Banks and NBFCs, the implementation of the resolution framework for COVID-19 related stress in bank loans.
- The review will focus on enabling businesses and households to avail of the revival framework on the basis of viability, necessary steps like finalising bank policies and identifying borrowers, and discussing issues that require addressing for smooth and speedy implementation.
CM of Karnataka and Minister of State of Railways flags off first ever RORO service of South Western Railway
Shri B S Yediyurappa, Chief Minister of Karnataka and Shri Suresh C. Angadi, Minister of State of Railways today flagged off first ever RORO service of South Western Railway from Nelamangla (near Bengaluru) to Bale (near Solapur).
- Roll On Roll Off (RORO)is a concept of carrying road vehicles loaded with various commodities, on open flat railway wagons .Hon’ble PM ,in his recent Independence day speech, has envisaged multimodal connectivity to take India to next level of development.
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|