Union Minister R K Singh launches green term ahead market
Union Minister R K Singh launched the Green Term Ahead Market (GTAM) for electricity, a move that will lead to an increase in the participants in the renewable energy sector.
- The initiative will also help in achieving the renewable energy (RE) capacity addition targets of the country.
- GTAM is the World’s first Exclusive Product Market for the renewable energy sector.
About Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE)
- Minister of State (MoS) IC – Raj Kumar Singh
- Headquarters – New Delhi
Government of India blocked 118 mobile apps including PUBG
The Government has blocked 118 mobile apps including PUBG which are prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, Defence of India, Security of State and Public Order.
- The move will safeguard the interests of crores of Indian mobile and internet users.
- The 118 banned mobile apps include PUBG MOBILE Nordic Map: Livik, PUBG MOBILE LITE, WeChat Work, WeChat reading, Cyber Hunter, LifeAfter and Warpath.
- These mobile apps have been blocked by the Electronics and Information Technology Ministry by invoking it’s power under section 69A of the Information Technology Act read with the relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009.
Madhya Pradesh govt launches ‘Gandagi Bharat Chhodo’ campaign
In Madhya Pradesh, a massive ‘Gandagi Bharat Chhodo’ campaign was launched by the State Government.
- The campaign was divided into five themes- Cleanliness Oath, Continuous reduction in urban waste emissions, Cleanliness in COVID conditions, Separation of waste from sources of houses and Launching a special cleanliness campaign for public places.
- About 35 lakh people from 378 urban bodies in Madhya Pradesh took part in the campaign.
About Madhya Pradesh:
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Governor: Anandiben Patel.
Ranking & Index
India ranks in top 50 countries for 1st time in Global Innovation Index
India ranked in the top 50 countries for the first time in the Global Innovation Index
- India jumped four positions to rank at 48th since 2019. The index compiled by World Intellectual Property Index (WIPO) presented the latest global trends and annual innovation ranking for 131 countries.
- India ranks in the top 15 in indicators such as ICT services exports, government online services, graduates in science and engineering and R&D-intensive global companies.
- Switzerland, Sweden, the US, the UK and the Netherlands lead the innovation ranking.
India’s Adani Green ranked as world’s No. 1 solar firm
Indian renewable energy company, Adani Green has been ranked as the world’s number 1 solar energy company in terms of capacity. The company is currently the world’s top solar developer with around 2.3 GW of operational projects.
- Adani Green Energy Limited has another 2 GW projects under construction and 8 GW of awarded projects (with contracted PPAs) for a total capacity of 12.3 GW. The solar capacity of the company exceeds the total installed capacity of the United States as of 2019.
Mustapha Adib set to be become Lebanon’s new Prime Minister
Lebanon’s Ambassador to Germany, Mustapha Adib is set to become the country’s next Prime Minister. Adib was named by four former Lebanon Prime Ministers as their choice for the post.
- Former prime minister Najib Mikati was the first MP to formally nominate Adib during the consultations at the presidential palace.
- Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab had announced the resignation of his government on August 10, 2020 after facing public outrage over the devastating Beirut explosion that caused massive destruction in the capital city, leading to the loss of many lives.
- Capital : Beirut.
- Currency : Lebanese pound
Usha Padhee becomes 1st woman DG of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security
Usha Padhee becomes first woman DG of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security
- Usha Padhee, joint secretary in the Ministry of Civil Aviation, has been given additional charge as director general of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- She is the first woman and third IAS officer to have been appointed to the post. The central deputation tenure of her is scheduled to end on 16th July 2022.
Summit and Conferences
CFI to host first-ever Cycling Summit in 2021
The Cycling Federation of India (CFI) is all set to host the first-ever Cycling Summit in 2021, with an aim to promote the culture of cycling in the country.
- This one-day summit is designed to promote the culture of cycling and exchange knowledge with budding and professional cyclists.
- The Cycling Summit 2021 will be hosted in Delhi, Mumbai, and Bangalore and is expected to be a unique confluence of cycling enthusiasts, renowned athletes, and businesses from all over the country.
- President: Parminder Singh Dhindsa.
- Established: 1946.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
MoU & Agreements
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Japan for cooperation in the field of good quality textiles
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, has approved for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between Textiles Committee, India and M/s Nissenken Quality Evaluation Centre, Japan for improving quality and testing of Indian textiles and Clothing for the Japanese market.
- The MoU would enable M/s Nissenken Quality Evaluation Centre, Japan in assigning Textile Committee as their cooperative Testing and Inspection service providers in the Republic of India for Textiles & Apparel products including Technical Textiles and any other products mutually agreed upon at a later date for both domestic and overseas clients/buyers.
- Capital : Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese yen
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Finland for cooperation in the field of Geology and Mineral Resources
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has approved Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation in the field of geology and mineral resources between Geological Survey of India, Ministry of Mines, the Government of the Republic of India and Geological Survey of Finland , Ministry of Employment and the Economy, the Government of Finland.
- This MoU aims to provide with a framework and a platform to promote and foster cooperation in the fields of geology, and mineral resources, social and environmental benefit; and share experiences on geological data management and information dissemination to promote exploration and mining, in the areas of geology and mineral resources
- Capital: Helsinki
- Prime minister: Sanna Marin
- Currency: Euro
Sumit Nagal becomes 1st Indian to win grand slam singles
Sumit Nagal stormed into the second round of the ongoing US Open Tennis.
- Nagal defeated Bradley Klahn in the first round of the US Open to progress further into the tournament.
- In 2013, Somdev Devvarman had reached the second round of the Australian Open, French Open and US Open. Nagal, who is the world number 122, will now face second seeded Austria’s Dominic Thiem in the second round of the tournament.
Books & Authors
Ramachandra Guha Authored New book ‘The Commonwealth of Cricket: A Lifelong Love Affair with the Most Subtle and Sophisticated Game Known to Humankind’
Indian writer Ramachandra Guha has authored a new book, ‘The Commonwealth of Cricket: A Lifelong Love Affair with the Most Subtle and Sophisticated Game Known to Humankind‘.
- The book portrays the entire arc of the game(cricket) in India, across all levels at which it is played and gives a glimpse of local heroes, provincial emblems and international stars. The book will be co-published by HarperCollins India and William Collins.
September 2: World Coconut Day
Every year World Coconut Day is celebrated on September 2. The day is celebrated mostly in the Asia-Pacific region including India. In India, Coconut grows in Kerala, Karnataka, Sundarbans, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
- This year theme is “Invest in Coconut to save the world”
- The day is mainly celebrated by the Asian and the Pacific Coconut Community (APCC).
Cabinet approves “Mission Karmayogi”- National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB)
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has approvedlaunching of a National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB)with the following institutional framework:-
- Prime Minister’s Public Human Resources (HR) Council,
- Capacity Building Commission.
- Special Purpose Vehicle for owning and operating the digital assets and the technological platform for online training,
- Coordination Unit headed by the Cabinet Secretary.
Shri Dharmendra Pradhan addresses USISPF-3rd annual leadership summit; Invites US companies to partner in Aatmanirbhar Bharat campaign
Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas and Steel, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan participated in the USISPF- 3rd Annual Leadership Summit on the theme of “Navigating New Challenges.”
- Minister Pradhan talked about the unprecedented impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the global economy and the consequent energy demand contraction. He added that with the gradual pick up of economic activity in India, energy consumption is anticipated to reach pre-Covid levels soon.
Union Minister Arjun Munda to inaugurate tomorrow the two day National Tribal Research Conclave to be held virtually on 3rd and 4th September, 2020
The Minister for Tribal Affairs Sh. Arjun Munda to inaugurate the two day National Tribal Research Conclave to be held virtually on 3rd and 4th September, 2020.
- The Conclave has been organized by Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Indian Institute of Public Administration(IIPA). The Minister of State for Tribal Affairs, Smt Renuka Singh Saruta will also address the participants at the conclave.
- This is the second workshop of its kind. The first such workshop was organized in January 2020.
Sports Ministry’s efforts ensure athletes from 20 new disciplines are now eligible for Government jobs under sports quota
The Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), Government of India, has accepted the proposal of the Department of Sports to grant benefit of the sports quota to athletes of 20 new disciplines, the 1st September, 2020.
- It will be beneficial not only to boost the morale of the sports persons who are performing at National and International events but will also help to create a positive environment for overall development of sports in the country