4th September 2020 Current Affairs
Jal Shakti Ministry launched ‘Water Heroes Contest 2.0’
The Jal Shakti ministry has recently launched a”Water Heroes – Share Your Stories” contest with an aim to reach out to people with the important message of water conservation and management.
- This contest hopes to encourage people and collect best practices in water conservation from across the country.
- All selected entries will be awarded a cash prize of Rs 10,000 and a certificate.
About Jal Shakti Ministry:
- Minister of State: Rattan Lal Kataria.
Sikkim Celebrated Pang Lhabsol: A Festival of Cultural Heritage and Historical Importance
Pang Lhabsol is one of the most historically significant festivals celebrated in Sikkim.
- This unique festival of Sikkim is celebrated annually on the fifteenth day of the seventh month of the Tibetan calendar corresponding to late August or early September to commemorate the consecration of Mount Khangchendzonga as the Guardian Deity of the State.
- Chief Minister: PS Golay
- Governor: Ganga Prasad
- Capital: Gangtok
J&K Government sets up Biodiversity Council
The Jammu and Kashmir government set up a 10-member biodiversity council to document the biodiversity of the union territory. The council will maintain a Peoples Biodiversity Register (PBR) with the help of representatives from local governance bodies.
- The biodiversity council will function in consultation with National Biodiversity Authority, as per an order issued by General Administration Department (GAD).
Ranking & Index
IISc Bengaluru tops among 63 Indian Institutes: THE World University Ranking 2021
Times Higher Education (THE), United Kingdom(UK) has released the World University Rankings 2021. Placed under the group of 301-350 rankings, Indian Institute of Science(IISc) Bengaluru tops among the 63 institutions that qualified for the rankings.The List topped by University of Oxford of UK .
- Following IISc, which was ranked globally in the 301-350 band, were the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Ropar and IIT Indore, which retained their second and third spots, respectively, among the Indian institutions on the list.
Murali Ramakrishnan becomes new MD & CEO of South Indian Bank
Murali Ramakrishnan will take over as the new managing director & CEO of Kerala-based South India Bank. He retired from ICICI Bank as Senior General Manager at Strategic Project Group on May 30, 2020
- The bank got the Reserve Bank of India’s approval for the appointment for a period of three years with effect from October 1, 2020.
- He represented the bank in the board of CIBIL and the risk advisory board of VISA for the Asia Pacific.
About South Indian Bank:
- Headquarters: Thrissur, Kerala.
- Tagline: Experience Next Generation Banking
S Krishnan becomes new MD & CEO of Punjab & Sind Bank
S Krishnan has been appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Punjab & Sind Bank. He will replace S Harishankar.
- Prior to this elevation, Krishnan was an Executive Director at Canara Bank, a State-owned Bank.
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has given permission to S Harishankar to voluntarily retire with effect from the date of notification of the acceptance.
About Punjab & Sind Bank:
- Non-Executive Chairman: Dr Charan Singh.
- HeadQuarters: NewDelhi, India.
- Tagline: Where Service is a Way of Life.
ACC approves appointment of V K Yadav as CEO of Railway Board
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has accepted the appointment of the present chairman of the Railway Board VK Yadav because the CEO
- The chairman and CEO will be the cadre controlling officer responsible for human resources (HR) with assistance from a DG (HR).
About Railway Ministry:
- Union Minister of Railways: Piyush Goyal.
Summits & Conference
India to host Summit of SCO Council on November 30
India is to host a summit of council of heads of SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization) on November 30, 2020. India is in the plan of expanding its cooperation with the grouping.
- India was an observer of SCO till 2005. It became a member in 2017 along with Pakistan.
- Also, SCO will act as a good platform for India to strengthen its ties with the extended neighbourhood.
India-Russia sign agreement on manufacturing AK-203 rifles
The Defence Minister on the side lines of the SCO meet held talks with his Russian counter part Shoigu.
- During the meet, the leaders signed the AK-203 rifles deal. According to the deal, the rifles are to be produced in India under the Make in India initiative with Russia support.
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian Rouble
US Annual Defence report: Chinese Navy the largest in the world
The United States recently published an annual report on Chinese Military power. According to the report, the Chinese Navy is now the largest in the world.
- The report says that the overall battle force of China is approximately 350 ships and submarines. This includes 130 major surface combatants. On the hand the US Navy has approximately 293 ships as of early 2020.
Indian Grandmaster P Iniyan clinches victory at prestigious World Open online chess tournament
Indian Grandmaster P Iniyan has won the prestigious 48th Annual World Open online chess tournament. He scored 7.5 points out of a possible 9 with six victories and three draws to finish on top.
- A total number of 120 players from 16 countries participated in the event which included more than 30 Grandmasters. On the way to his title, Iniyan defeated Grandmasters Baadur Jobava of Georgia, Sam Sevian, Sergey Erenburg of the USA and Nyzhyk Illia of Ukraine.
Books & Authors
A new book titled “Let Us Dream” Authored by Pope Francis
Pope Francis is set to release the book “Let Us Dream” in December 2020. In the book, Pope Francis explains how a crisis can teach an individual to deal with problems they face in their lives. He cites three major crises from his own personal life.
- In the book, Pope Francis explains how a crisis can teach one to deal with the problems that they may face in their lives, by looking at three major crises in his personal life.
Former England cricket allrounder David Capel passes away
David Capel, the former cricket allrounder who played 15 Tests and 23 one-day internationals for England from 1987-1990, has passed away.
- He was appointed as the Director of the Club in the wake of his retirement.
- He served as assistant coach of the England Women’s team in 2013 and as a coach for Bangladesh Women’s team from 2016 to 2018.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Address at the US-India 2020 Summit of US-ISPF
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi delivered the Special Key Note Address at the US-India 2020 Summit through video conference.
- The US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF) is a non-profit organization that works for the partnership between India and the U.S.
- The Theme of the 5 day Summit that began on the 31st of August is “US-India Navigating New Challenges”.
- Addressing the Summit, Shri Narendra Modi said the global pandemic has impacted everyone and that it is testing our resilience, our public health systems, our economic systems.
Shri Sadananda Gowda launches 8 Nutraceutical-immunity boosting products under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Priyojana
Union Minister of Chemicals & Fertilizers Shri DV Sadananda Gowda launched 8 immunity boosting products under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Priyojana (PMBJP) for sale through Janaushadhi Kendras across country.
- These products will help in boosting immunity of the people. He also informed that products are comparable in quality and are cheaper by over 26% than the market price.
DIAT Develops “Healthy Air”, a Herbal-based Immunity Boosting Room Freshener
Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, a Deemed to be University, Pune has now developed herbal-based immunity boosting room freshener product named “Healthy Air” to contain the spread of COVID-19.
- The product is also experimented in Aerodynamic state of the art Laser Based Visualisation Lab for understanding the flow profile, formation of primary aerosol particles, aerosol breakdown thresholds as a function of particle size, particle density etc. It resulted that formation of secondary particles are not noticed which result in poor dispersion of primary particles.
E-Foundation stone laid for National Training Academy for Rural Self Employment Training Institutes in Bengaluru
E-Foundation stone laying ceremony of the new training Institute building of National Academy of RUDSETI (NAR) was held yesterday.
- The NAR undertakes monitoring, mentoring and capacity building of the Rural Self Employment Training Institutes staff (585 RSETIs are spread across 566 districts of the country), State/UT Rural Livelihood Mission staff and the concerned Bank officials on behalf of the Ministry of Rural Development.