Finance Ministry held 42nd GST Council on 06th October 2020. On that meeting Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced Rs.20 thousand crore rupees to the states from the amount collected as compensation cess this year.
- The dues of IGST of Rs 24,000 crores are to be given to those states that were paid less earlier.
- The GST Compensation Cess levy has been extended beyond 2022.
- The states may borrow Rs 1.1 lakh crores instead of Rs 97,00 crores as fixed in the earlier GST Council meet.
About Finance Ministry:
- Union Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
- Minister of State: Anurag Singh Thakur
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan releases ‘Ayush Standard Treatment Protocol’ Virtually
Union Health Minister Dr Harshvardhan released the ‘Ayush Standard Treatment Protocol’ through online mode.
- The protocol has the details self-care guidelines for preventive health measures to help protect against COVID-19 pandemic. The upgradation of protocols is done by the Ministry of AYUSH in collaboration with ICMR and CSIR.
Ashwini Kumar Choubey, MoS for Health and Family Welfare, UK MoS for South East Asia discuss relations in health sector
Shri Ashwini Kumar Choubey, Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare and United Kingdom’s Minister of State for South East Asia Affairs Lord Tariq Ahmed discussed bilateral relations in the health sector of the two countries virtually through video conferencing.
- The two Ministers discussed in detail the current status of the coronavirus vaccine and its availability for the both countries.
- Capital: London
- Prime minister: Boris Johnson
India, Myanmar give nod to operationalise Sittwe port in first quarter of 2021
India and Myanmar give nod for working towards the operationalisation of the Sittwe port, Rakhine state in the first quarter of 2021.
- Recently, a meeting was held between Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General M M Naravane and Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla to Myanmar. On that meeting both sides agreed to further strengthen their partnership in connectivity projects, capacity building, power and energy.
- India also approved grant of USD 2 mn for the construction of the border haat bridge at Byanyu/Sarsichauk in Chin State which will provide increased economic connectivity between Mizoram and Myanmar.
- Capital: Naypyitaw
- President: Win Myint
- Currency: Burmese kyat
Sikkim Dalle Khursani gets Geographical Indication (GI) Tag
Sikkim Dalle Khursani which is a red cherry pepper chilli gets GI tag on the basis of application submitted by the North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation Limited (NERAMAC).
- The chilli is mostly grown in Sikkim and Darjeeling. The Chilli belongs to Capsicum family.
- The chilli is also considered as one of the hottest chilli in the world.
- Capital: Gangtok
- Governor: Ganga Prasad
- Chief Minister: Prem Singh Tamang
Gujarat government initiated Digital Seva Setu Programme for rural areas
Gujarat State Government has initiated Digital Seva Setu Programme for the rural areas. Under this initiative, the citizens will be able to get benefit from various public welfare services at the Panchayat level. The Programme was announced by the State CM Vijay Rupani.
- The Digital Seva Setu has been initiated under the Bharat Net Project which is an initiative to connect the Village Panchayats through fibre network.
- The villages of Gujarat will be connected with a 100 MBPS optical fibre network under the Digital Seva Setu programme
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
Summits & Conference
The 12th BRICS Summit will be conducted on 17th November 2020 on online mode through video conferencing. Russia is headed the BRICS Summit this year.
- The theme for 12th BRICS Summit is “BRICS Partnership for Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth
- Since 2009, the BRICS nations have met annually at formal summits.
- Brazil hosted the most recent 11th BRICS summit on 2019.
- South Africa.
The Foreign Ministers of Quad countries India, US, Japan, Australia are planned to conduct a meet Tokyo, Japan. Indian side is represented by external affairs minister s jaishankar. The first meet on foreign ministers of all the four QUAD countries was held in 2019.
- The four QUAD foreign ministers are expected to discuss regional issues and collectively affirm the importance of maintaining a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific.
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese yen
- Prime minister: Yoshihide Suga
Awards & Honors
Gallantry and non-Gallantry Awards was presented by Vice Admiral Atul Kumar Jain at the Naval Investiture Ceremony conducted at Visakhapatnam. The awards were announced on the Republic Day.
Award Winners List
|Yudh Seva Medal (YSM)||Cdr Prakash Vivek|
|Nao Sena Medal (Gallantry)||Rear Adm Jyotin Raina and Shri Niwash|
|Nau Sena Medal||Commodores PC Maragatha Velan and R Vijay Sekhar|
|Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM)||Captain Ravi Kumar, Ram Dular MCME II, and Shrikant Parashram Mane MCPO(UV) II|
|Lt VK Jain Memorial Gold Medal||Lt Cdr V Rajesh Kumar Singh|
|Jeevan Rakshak Padak||Mukesh Kumar|
|C-in-C Award||INS Sujata, INS Karna, INS Chilka, and INS Kalinga|
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences announced the winner of the Nobel Prize 2020 in Physics. Earlier, the academy announced Nobel Prize winners in the field of Physiology or Medicine.
- The prestigious award comes with a gold medal and prize money of 10 million Swedish kronor (more than $1.1 million).
Nobel Prize 2020 in Physics Winners List:
- Roger Penrose
- Reinhard Genzel
- Andrea Ghez
Roger Penrose won Nobel Prize for the discovery that black hole formation is a robust prediction of the general theory of relativity
Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez won Nobel Prize the discovery of a supermassive compact object at the centre of our galaxy
I.S. Chahal awarded With Global ‘Covid Crusader Award-2020’
Mumbai Municipal Commissioner Iqbal Singh Chahal awarded with with Global ‘Covid Crusader Award-2020’. He is the First Indian got this global acknowledgment for his participation in controlling the novel COVID19 in India.
- This award is given by Indo American Chamber of Commerce which is the apex bi-lateral Chamber synergizing India-US Economic Engagement.
- He also served as the Principal Secretary in the Urban Development Department, Maharashtra
Union Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry, Shri Piyush Goyal announced the country’s First National Startup Awards to recognise and honor startups innovative products. Winners were selected across 12 sectors.
- Allied Areas: Cornext Agri Products Pvt Ltd
- Farmer Engagement and Education: Mandya Organic
- Post-Harvest: Intello Labs
- Productivity: Nava Design Innovation & Innovation
- Access to Institutional Education: Robotguru Education Technologies
- Access to Open Education: Kickhead Softwares
- Clean Energy: Aloe E-Cell
- Energy Efficiency: Esyasoft
- Unnati Online: Enterprise Solutions
- Finance: Resilient Innovations
- Access to Food: Food Cloud
- Food Processing: God’s Own Food Solutions
- Access to Healthcare: Wellthy Therapeutics
- Diagnostics: Niramai Health Analytix
- Life Sciences: Bonayu Lifesciences
- Medical Devices: Innaumation Medical Devices
- Big Data: Uptimeai Tech
- Internet of Things: Minionlabs India
- 3D Printing: Fabheads Automation
- Augmented Reality Products/Wearables: Scapic Innovations
- Robotics: Planys Technologies
- Computer Vision: Gingermind Technologies
- Citizen Security Solutions: Staqu Technologies
- Cyber Security: Lucideus Tech
- Launch Vehicles: Skyroot Aerospace
- Satellite Technology: Dhruva Space / Bellatrix Aerospace
- Hospitality: Feeinsta Consulting & Services
- Travel Planning and Discovery: Param People Infotech
- Construction Development Monitoring Solutions: SnPC Machines
- Traffic Management: Wickedride Adventure Services
- Waste Management: Sukriti Social Foundation
- Water and Water Networks: Taraltec Solutions
- Top Incubator: Villgro Innovations Foundation
- Top Accelerator: Brigade Real Estate Accelerator Program
- Campus Initiated Startups: Genrobotic Innovations
- Startups Having a Rural Impact: Bodhami
- Women-Led Startups: Azooka Labs
Accenture which is a multinational professional services company has appointed India born American Bhaskar Ghosh as its Chief Strategy Officer. Ghosh also served as advisor to Julie Sweet who is Accenture’s chief executive officer (CEO). Earlier he served as a vice president and global head of IT infrastructure management services at Infosys.
- Simon Eaves as managing director of the United Kingdom and Ireland region with effect from January 1, 2021. At the same time, Olly Benzercy will continue to serve as MD and chairman of the UK and Ireland until he retires at the end of August 2021.
Whole-Time Member of SEBI, Madhabi Puri Buch gets One year Extension
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet chaired by PM Modi approved the extension in the term of appointment of Madhabi Puri Buch as Whole-Time Member for Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- The period of one year is begun in October 4, 2020. Earlier the ACC also granted 18 month extension to SEBI Chairman Ajay Tyagi till February 2022.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Agency executive: Ajay Tyagi
Indian Government appoints Monetary Policy Committee Members. The members are Ashima Goyal,Jayant R Varma and Shashank Bhide. The Monetary Policy Committee is headed by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das.
- The Present Committee was formed in 2016.
- The members are appointed for tenure of four years. The members are not eligible of reappointment.
- These members are appointed by Appointment Committee of the Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Modi.
MoUs & Agreements
Housing and Urban Affairs signed MoU with Swiggy
Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has signed MoU with Swiggy which is India’s largest and highest-valued online food ordering and delivery platform. The main objective of this MoU is to take the street food vendors online under the PM Svanidhi Scheme.
- Under this MoU the programme was launched in five cities including Chennai, Ahmedabad, Indore, Delhi and Varanasi.
- The initiative would benefit more than 50 lakh street vendors in future.
ISLRTC signed agreement with NCERT to make education materials accessible for Deaf children
Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC) signed agreement with National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) to make education materials accessible for Deaf children in their preferred format of communication.
- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thawar Chand Gehlot and Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ also present in the occasion through online mode.
- This agreement also ensures educational standardization of Indian Sign Language as mandated in the New Education Policy, 2020.
Science & Technology
The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) which is an Indian autonomous scientific society, operating under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology will commission the largest HPC-AI supercomputer named PARAM Sidhi-AI.
- The supercomputer will have 210 AI Petaflops
- It will be based on the NVIDIA DGX SuperPOD.
- The infrastructure will be established under NSM at C-DAC, with support from Niti Aayog, Ministry of Electronics and IT, Department of Science and Technology and the central government.
- The computer will use NVIDIA Next Generation technology, C-DAC software stack and Cloud platform.
About Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology:
- Union Minister: Ravi Shankar Prasad
Government scraps criteria of Minimum Qualifying Service for Defence personnel for Enhanced Family Pension
Defence Forces personnel, Government removed the need of Minimum Qualifying Service for Enhanced Family Pension with effect from 1st October 2019.
- As per existing facilities, there is a need of continuous qualifying service of 7 years for grant of Ordinary Family Pension at enhanced rate to Next of Kin of Defence Forces personnel.
- The requirement of continuous qualifying service of 7 years is done away with effect from 1st October 2019.
- In Addition to, Defence Forces personnel who died within ten years before the 1st of October 2019 without completing continuous service of 7 years, their family will also be eligible for family pension at the enhanced rates.
- Family Pension at increased rate is calculated at the rate of 50 per cent of last emoluments whereas normally it is 30 per cent of the last pay drawn.
Every year world cotton day is celebrated on October 06. The day was proclaimed by World Trade Organization (WTO) which is an intergovernmental organization that is concerned with the regulation of international trade between nations.
- WTO host first World Cotton Day on Geneva in 2019
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 1 January 1995
- Leader: Roberto Azevedo
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|
|To Join Facebook||Click Here|