Coal India to invest over Rs 1.22 lakh crore on 500 projects by 2023-24
Coal India Ltd (CIL) will invest over 1.22 lakh crore rupees on development of nearly 500 projects related to coal evacuation, infrastructure, project development, exploration and clean coal technologies in the country.
- The investment aims at making India self-reliant in terms of coal and achieve the production target of 1 billion tonnes by 2023-2024.
- Coal India has also identified 15 greenfield projects which will be operated under the Mine Developer and Operator (MDO) model.
About Coal India:
- CEO: Anil Kumar Jha
- Headquarters: Kolkata
India-Japan-Australia to Launch Resilient Supply Chain Initiative in the Indo-Pacific region
Japan and Australia agreed to launch a trilateral Supply Chain Resilience Initiative (SCRI) in the Indo-Pacific region. The initiative will help in building a resilient supply chain with focus on free, transparent trade & investment environment in the region.
- The initiative was decided at a virtual meeting comprising Australia’s Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Senator Simon Birmingham, India’s Minister of Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal, and Japan’s Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, Kajiyama Hiroshi.
Odisha CM Launches 2 Citizen Centric Apps On Local Self Government Day
Naveen Patnaik, Chief Minister of Odisha, launched two citizen-centric mobile applications Ama Sahar and Swachha Sahar Odisha on the occasion of Local Self Government Day which was observed at the Lok Seva Bhawan.
- These apps enable the Urban Local Bodies(ULBs) to submit the utilisation certificates over online for the betterment of fiscal management.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Chief minister: Naveen Patnaik
Karnataka CM flags off RO-RO train service between Bengaluru and Solapur
Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa today flagged off RO-RO train between Bengaluru and Solapur through video conferencing
- The train will take 17 hours to reach its final destination which is at a distance of about 682 kms.
- RORO services are combination of best features of road and rail transports in the sense that they offer door to door service with minimal handling transported by fat and direct rail link.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
- Chief minister: B. S. Yediyurappa
Indian economy contracted by 23.9% in Q1 of 2020-21
The estimates of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the first quarter (April-June) Q1 of 2020-21 has been released by the National Statistical Office(NSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation. NSSO has released the GDP estimates at both Constant (2011-12) and Current Prices.
- According to the data released by NSO, the GDP at Constant (2011-12) Prices in Q1 of 2020-21 is estimated at Rs 26.90 lakh crore. This value was Rs 35.35 lakh crore in Q1 of 2019-20. Hence, the Indian economy has experienced a contraction of 23.9% as compared to 5.2% growth in Q1 2019-20.
European Investment Bank to Invest € 650 Million in Kanpur’s 1st City Metro Line
The European Investment Bank (EIB) will invest 650 million euro(€) in the construction of Kanpur’s(Uttar Pradesh) 1st city metro line.
- The 32.4 km urban rail line, with 18 elevated and 12 underground stations is EIB’s 2nd biggest operation outside the European Union(EU) till date.
- It is the 2nd metro rail project supported by the EIB in Uttar Pradesh(UP).
- President– Werner HOYER
- Headquarters– Luxembourg
Ministry of Defence signs Rs 2,580 crores of contracts to boost Make in India
The Ministry of Defence signed contracts worth Rs 2,580 crores to boost Make in India. The contracts were signed for supply of six Pinaka Regiments to the Indian Army.
- The contracts were signed with Tata Power Company, Bharat Earth Movers Limited and Larsen and Toubro.
- The Pinaka multiple launch rocket system was indigenously designed and developed by DRDO. It is a flagship project that showcases public private partnership enabling Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
Science & Technology
Indian Railways develops ‘MEDBOT’ to deliver food, medicines to COVID-19 patients
During Corona crisis, apart from providing transport facilities and essential items like foodgrains to people, Indian Railways has also provided facilities for COVID-19 patients.
- It has developed a remote-controlled medical trolley named ‘MEDBOT’ to help deliver food and medicines to COVID-19 patients.
- It is providing service in the Central Hospital of the Diesel Rail Engine Factory of Indian Railways.
Hemant Khatri became new CMD of Hindustan Shipyard Limited
Commodore, Hemant Khatri (Retd) is appoined as the Chairman and Managing Director of state-owned defence shipbuilder, Hindustan Shipyard Ltd (HSL) at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- He will replace Rear Admiral L V Sarat Babu (Retd). Previously, Hemant Khatri was serving as the Director of Strategic Projects HSL.
About Hindustan Shipyard Limited:
- Established: 22 June 1941
- Headquarters: Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
Rajiv Kumar takes over as election commissioner
Former bureaucrat Rajiv Kumar on Tuesday assumed charge as the new election commissioner.
- He takes the place vacated by Ashok Lavasa who joins the Asian Development Bank as vice president.
- He retired in February 2020 as Finance Secretary, Government of India and later on served as the Chairman of Public Enterprises Selection Board from April 2020 to 31st August 2020.
- Rajiv Kumar, a retired 1984-batch IAS officer of the Jharkhand cadre, will have a five-year tenure and retire in 2025.
CBDT chairman Pramod Chandra Mody gets six-month extension
Pramod Chandra Mody was given a six-month extension as the chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved extension in re-appointment of Pramod Chandra Mody as the CBDT chairman for a period of six months with effect from September 1 this year to February 28, 2021, the order said.
- The CBDT is headed by a chairman and can have a maximum of six members. It frames policy for the Income-Tax Department.
- Established: 1924.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
Aveek Sarkar elected new Chairman of Press Trust of India
Aveek Sarkar has been elected as the Chairman of the Press Trust of India.
- He replaces Vijay Kumar Chopra, Chief Editor of the Punjab Kesari Group of newspapers.
- Aveek Sarkar is the Vice Chairman of the Ananda Bazar Group of Publications. He was also the founding Managing Director of Penguin India.
Books and Authors
Karan Johar pens children’s book ‘The Big Thoughts of Little Luv’
Filmmaker Karan Johar has penned a children’s book, titled “The Big Thoughts of Little Luv”, which is inspired from his own experiences as a parent.
- The picture book will be published by Juggernaut Books. Karan Johar released his autobiography titled “An Unsuitable Boy” in 2017.
Indian Astronomers discover one of the farthest Star galaxies in the universe
As a landmark achievement in Space missions, Indian Astronomers have discovered one of the farthest Star galaxies in the universe.
- India’s first Multi-Wavelength Space Observatory “AstroSat” has detected extreme-UV light from a galaxy located 9.3 billion light-years away from Earth.
- The galaxy called AUDFs01 was discovered by a team of Astronomers led by Dr Kanak Saha from the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics(IUCAA) Pune.
Department of Fertilizers is observing Swachhta Pakhwada from 1st to 15th September 2020
Union Department of Fertilizers is observing Swachhta Pakhwada from 1st – 15th September 2020. All PSUs and other Organizations under the Department are participating in the Swachhta Abhiyan in a big way.
- Union Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers Shri DV Sadananda Gowda said in a tweet that Swachhta Pakhwada has gained even greater importance this year in view of the outbreak of COVID 19 pandemic.
Ladakh and Lakshadweep integrated in existing national portability cluster of One Nation One Ration Card
The Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Sh. Ram Vilas Paswan recently reviewed the progress made towards the implementation of “One Nation One Ration Card” plan and while taking note of the requisite technical readiness of another 2 Union Territories of Ladakh and Lakshadweep, approved the integration of these 2 UTs with existing national portability cluster of 24 States/UTs.
Vice Admiral SR Sarma, AVSM, VSM Assumes charge as chief of Materiel, Indian Navy
Vice Admiral SR Sarma, AVSM, VSM has assumed charge as the Chief of Materiel, of the Indian Navy today (01 Sep 2020). The Admiral is a post graduate in Computer Science and Engineering from IISc, Bengaluru and a distinguished alumni of Naval Higher Command Course.
- As a Flag Officer, the Admiral has served as Assistant Chief of Materiel (IT & Systems) in Naval Headquarters, Admiral Superintendent of Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam.
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh on official visit to Russia from September 3-5
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh is visiting Moscow from September 3-5, 2020 at the invitation of Defence Minister of Russian Federation General Shergei Shoigu to attend the combined meeting of Defence Ministers of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO) and Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) member States in commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of victory in the World War II.