Centre launches KIRAN helpline service for mental health rehabilitation
Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Thawar Chand Gehlot launched ‘Kiran’, a toll-free mental health rehabilitation helpline number.
- The helpline (1800-599-0019), developed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment along with its partners, aims to provide support for early screening, first-aid, psychological support, distress management, mental wellbeing, preventing deviant behaviours, psychological crisis management, among others.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched DGNCC Mobile Training App for NCC Training
Union Minister of Defence Rajnath Singh launched the Directorate General National Cadet Corps (DGNCC) Mobile Training App on 27 August. The mobile Application will assist in conducting countrywide online training of National Cadet Corps (NCC) cadets.
- The DGNCC Mobile Training App will will help the NCC cadets in digital learning and overcoming the difficulties posed by COVID-19 due to restrictions on direct physical interactions.
About Defence Ministry:
- Union Minister – Rajnath Singh
- Minister of State – Shripad Yesso Naik
Union Minister Piyush Goyal launches National GIS-enabled Land Bank system
Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal e-launched the National GIS(Geographic Information System)-enabled Land Bank system (https://iis.ncog.gov.in/parks) for six states.
- The platform will provide a database of industrial areas/clusters across the country and will serve as a one-stop solution to the free and easy accessibility of all industrial information.
AIFC and Football Coaches Australia sign MoU for development of game
The Association of Indian Football Coaches (AIFC) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Football Coaches Australia (FCA) to assist each other in development of football in the two countries.
- This MoU introduces standard contracts for the coaches with the country which provides the minimum employment conditions and structured and resourced process for termination of employment.
- Under this MoU AIFC and FCA will support each other to educate and equip the coaches and work together for the betterment of the coaches.
- General Secretary– Mr. Kushal Das
- Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Delhi Government Launched ‘Healthy Body, Healthy Mind’ Fitness Campaign for Students Confined in Homes
Delhi Government launched the Fitness Campaign – “Healthy Body, Healthy Mind”, for the students who are confined in their homes because of the lockdown imposed on Schools and colleges due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- As a part of the “Healthy Body, Healthy Mind” campaign, a YouTube channel has been started which uploads a video on every wednesday, by which the students can practice for a week to maintain fitness and make up for the loss of physical activities amid pandemic.
Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath launches NRI unified portal
In Uttar Pradesh, the State Government will prepare a database of the migrant workers of the state working in different countries of the world. It will help in providing them assistance during any emergency.
- The state government will also create a database of the state’s migrant workers employed in different countries of the world and will help offer assistance during any emergency.The portal will also offer an opportunity to those who want to go abroad.
About Uttar Pradesh:
- Chief Minister: Yogi Aditya Nath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel.
HDFC Bank & Adobe partners to enhance digital customer experiences
HDFC Bank has announced a strategic partnership with Adobe to enhance the Digital Experiences of its Customers. The partnership is powered by Adobe Experience Cloud Solutions and will help HDFC Bank to deliver personalised digital experiences to existing as well as new customers, at any time and anywhere.
- The Bank will use platforms like Data Management Platform in Adobe Audience Manager to develop a deep understanding of the customers. The collected data will enable HDFC to deliver focussed campaigns and communication to customers through email, mobile and off-line channels.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Launched 1st of its Kind ‘Smart Assist’, a Real-time Assistance Service
Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance has launched ‘Smart Assist’, a service which enables customers to connect with the insurance company through a secure screen sharing feature, to avail real-time assistance on completion of their buy journey, anywhere.
- Smart Assist is designed to help customers know all about their product, while enjoying virtual assistance, and maintaining the social distance protocol.
About Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company Limited:
- Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer– Tarun Chugh
- HeadQuarters– Pune, Maharashtra
IIT Alumni Council partners with Russia to build world’s largest & fastest hybrid quantum computer
With the objective to achieve the mission of Atma Nirbhar Bharat, the Indian Institute of Technology’s (IITs) Alumni Council has signed an agreement with Russian state-owned companies, Lomonosov Moscow State University and Russoft, to build the world’s largest and fastest hybrid quantum computer in India.
- The agreement aims to access and transfer key technologies from Russia to IIT Alumni Council such as critical modules in cryogenics, cryptography and modularised cloud management technology.
About IIT Alumni Council:
- President: Ravi Sharma.
- Headquarter: New Delhi.
Marieke Lucas Rijneveld becomes youngest author to win International Booker Prize
A 29-year-old Dutch writer has become the youngest author to win the International Booker Prize.
- Marieke Lucas Rijneveld’s “The Discomfort of Evening,” a dark story about a devout farming family in a strict Christian community in the rural Netherlands, was announced as the winner Wednesday.
- The International Booker Prize is awarded every year to a book of fiction in any language that is translated into English and published in the U.K. or Ireland. The award is separate from the main Booker Prize, and aims to encourage more publishing and reading of quality fiction from around the world.
Bryan brothers announce retirement
Bob and Mike Bryan, the most successful men’s doubles team in the history of tennis, are bringing the curtain down on their 22-year professional careers days ahead of the U.S. Open, the site of their major debut in 1995.
- The Bryans, 42, captured a professional era record 119 titles together, including 16 Grand Slams, 39 ATP Masters 1000s and the ATP Finals title four times.
- They also won Olympic gold at London 2012 and were part of the U.S. Davis Cup-winning team in 2007.
Books & Authors
Army Chief MM Naravane Releases Book On National Security
Army Chief General MM Naravane released a book titled “National Security Challenges: Young Scholars’ Perspective” penned by university students.
- The book published by the Army think-tank Centre for Land Warfare Studies (CLAWS)
- The book is a tribute to Field Marshal Manekshaw, the great grand strategist of 1971 Indo-Pakistan War that resulted in the liberation of Bangladesh.
Writer-journalist Gail Sheehy passes away
Writer-journalist, Commentator and Pop sociologist, Gail Sheehy passed away. Her best-selling book “Passages: Predictable Crises of Adult Life” was published in 1976.
- Sheehy’s honors included the National Magazine Award, the Anisfield-Wolf Book Award and a citation from the American Psychological Association.
Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) – National Mission for Financial Inclusion, completes six years of successful implementation
PMJDY was announced by Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi in his Independence Day address on 15th August 2014. While launching the programme on 28th August, the Prime Minister had described the occasion as a festival to celebrate the liberation of the poor from a vicious cycle.
- On the 6th Anniversary of PMJDY, Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs , Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman reiterated the importance of this Scheme.
Union Education Minister virtually inaugurates Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College (JNMC) Exam Centre of Aligarh Muslim University
Union Education Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ inaugurated Examination Centre of Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College (JNMC), Aligarh Muslim University through a video conferencing platform. The examination centre has been built on a government grant of rupees two cores.
- The Minister congratulated the AMU Vice Chancellor for ensuring the all-round development with continuous positive transformation despite adverse circumstances due to the Coronavirus outbreak.
PM Modi addresses seminar on Atmanirbhar Bharat in Defence manufacturing
The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi addressed the seminar on Atmanirbhar Bharat in Defence Manufacturing via Video Conferencing. Stressing on the need to become Atmanirbhar in Defence Manufacturing, the Prime Minister said our aim is to boost defence production, develop new technology and give significant roles to private players in the defence sector.
- Complimenting Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh and his entire team for working on a mission mode and taking relentless efforts, the Prime Minister said that the objective of achieving self-reliance in defense production will definitely gain momentum from today’s seminar.
Union Education Minister virtually addresses inaugural session of World Urdu Conference organised by National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language
Union Education Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ virtually addressed the inaugural session of the two days World Urdu Conference organised by National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language ( NCPUL ) in New Delhi.
- The Education Minister also made an important announcement and said that Urdu writers and literators will be honoured with awards and honours in the name of important personalities of Urdu like Amir Khusrow, Mirza Ghalib, Agha Hashar, Ram Babu Saxena and Daya Shankar Naseem to encourage Urdu writers for literary and creative services by the Urdu Council from next year.
Textile Grand Challenge 2019 organized by Ministry of Textiles to bring forward innovative ideas aimed at phasing out plastic bags
The Textile Grand Challenge 2019 was organized by the Ministry of Textiles with the active support of National Jute Board and the Start up India Team of the Department for Promotion of Industry & Industrial Trade (DPIIT).
- The aim of organizing this historic event was to bring forward innovative ideas by start-ups/entrepreneurs for development of cost effective and low-weight carry bags using Jute Bio-mass, Jute Plant based bio-polymer and cotton fibre waste to phase out plastic bags.