Narendra Singh Tomar launches ICAR’s data recovery centre ‘Krishi Megh’
Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar has launched ICAR’s data recovery centre – Krishi Megh. The move is aimed at protecting the precious data of the government’s premier research body Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- It has been set up at National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM) in Hyderabad.
- Currently, the main data centre of the ICAR is at the Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute (IASRI) in the national capital.
- Krishi Megh has been set up under the National Agricultural Higher Education Project (NAHEP), funded by both the government and World Bank.
Tribal Affairs Ministry develops nine ‘Tribal Freedom Fighters’ Museums
The Union Tribal Affairs Ministry is developing nine “Tribal Freedom Fighters’ Museums dedicated to the contributions of the tribal people in India to the freedom struggle.
- Out of the nine museums, two museums are almost nearing completion and the remaining seven are at different stages of progress.
- All museums are expected to come into existence by the end of 2022.
Jal Shakti Minister launches Swachh Bharat Mission Academy
Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat today launched Swachh Bharat Mission, SBM Academy in New Delhi, as part of the ongoing week-long behaviour change campaign Gandagi Mukt Bharat.
- After launching the SBM Academy by dialing the designated IVR toll-free number, the Minister stated that IVR based free mobile online learning course on ODF Plus will be crucial in achieving goals underlined in Phase – 2 of Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin).
Chhattisgarh Govt launches ‘Indira Van Mitan’ scheme
Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel has launched ‘Indira Van Mitan Yojana’ on World Tribal Day to make forest dwellers (tribal) self-reliant by boosting self-employment opportunities.
- Under this, dedicated youth groups with 10-15 members will be constituted in almost 10,000 in tribal-dominated village areas to manage forest-based economic activities.
- Forest produce processing units will be set up in every development block of schedule areas at Rs.10 lakh cost for each unit.
Gujarat launches Mukhya Mantri Kisan Sahay Yojana
The Gujarat Government launched a new scheme called the Mukhya Mantri Kisan Sahay Yojana. The scheme will replace Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana in the state for the current year alone.
- The scheme is being replaced as the insurance firms have sought high premium from the government this time. If approved, the state government will have to pay Rs 4,500 crores.
- Under the scheme, a farmer can get compensation for a maximum of four hectares of land
Russia becomes 1st country to register COVID-19 Vaccine
Russian President, Vladimir Putin has announced that a COVID-19 vaccine developed in the country has been registered for use.
- Russian Ministry of Health has given regulatory approval for what it claims is the world’s first Covid-19 vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute.
- Russia is the first country to register a coronavirus vaccine.
- President: Vladimir Putin.
- Capital: Moscow.
Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab Government Steps Down
Hassan Diab, Lebanon(Republic of Lebanon) Prime Minister(PM) and his government resigned due to public outrage and the pressure from within his own Cabinet as his government was blamed for the August 4 explosion in Beirut’s port which killed at least 160 people and injured about 6,000 others.
- Michel Aoun, Lebanon President accepted his resignation letter and asked him to stay on in a caretaker capacity until a new cabinet was formed.
- Capital– Beirut
- Currency– Lebanese Pound
Mohamed Ould Bilal becomes new Prime Minister of Mauritania
Mohamed Ould Bilal has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of Mauritania.
- The appointment was made by the Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Ghazouani.
- Mohamed Ould Bilal is a veteran public administrator and has served as the head of the country’s national water agency, a presidential aide and a cabinet minister.
- Capital: Nouakchott.
- Currency: Mauritanian ouguiya.
Awards and Recognitions
Journalists Nitin Sethi and Shiv Sahay Singh Bagged Asian College of Journalism Award 2019
Asian College of Journalism(ACJ) award 2019 was conferred upon Journalist Nitin Sethi for investigative journalism and K P Narayana Kumar Memorial Award 2019 for Social Impact Journalism is bestowed upon Journalist Shiv Sahay Singh.
- The awards were presented in a virtual ceremony by Soumya Swaminathan, chief scientist of the World Health Organisation(WHO), at the inauguration of the Class of 2021.
- Headquarters– Chennai, TamilNadu
- Chairman– Sashi Kumar
Paytm launched India’s 1st pocket android POS device
Paytm has launched India’s 1st Pocket Android POS (Point of Sale) Device named ‘Paytm All-in-One Portable Android Smart POS’ for contactless ordering and payments in India.
- This is the first such Android-based device to be introduced in India and is much more powerful than the portable Linux based POS devices presently available in the country.
- It is an effort to digitise and empower a large number of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
- Founder: Vijay Shekhar Sharma.
- Headquarters: Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
Bihar Pollution Control Board signs agreement with IIT Delhi for GIS
Bihar State Pollution Control Board has signed an agreement with IIT Delhi to establish Geographical Information System (GIS) based platform to check air quality management,
- IIT Delhi will help in the field of comprehensive architecture for scientific analysis of air pollution and will provide knowledge to develop in house capacity for data analysis
Books & Authors
‘Connecting, Communicating, Changing,’ book released by Defence Minister
The Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has released the book titled ‘Connecting, Communicating, Changing’ in New Delhi. This book is regarding the years spent by the Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu in office. The first copy of the book has been provided to the Vice President only.
- The e-version of the book has been launched by the Union Minister Prakash Javadekar.
- This book has captured through words and pictures the activities of the Vice President, which will also include his travels in India as well as abroad.
International Youth Day 2020 is being observed on 12 August
International Youth Day 2020 is being observed on 12 August with the theme “Youth Engagement for Global Action.”
- The day celebrates young peoples’ initiatives, as well as their meaningful engagement.
- In 1999, the UN General Assembly endorsed the recommendation made by the World Conference of Ministers Responsible for Youth (Lisbon, 8-12 August 1998) that 12 August be declared International Youth Day. The first IYD was observed in 2000.
World Elephant Day to be observed on August 12, 2020
Every year, World Elephant Day is celebrated on August 12. It is an international event that is dedicated to preserve and protect world elephants. The idea of World Elephant Day was conceived by Canadian film makers Patricia Sims and Michael Clark in Thailand.
- The main objective of celebrating World Elephant Day is to create awareness about the urgent plight of Asian and African elephants.
- The first International Elephant Day was celebrated in 2012.