KPSC PWD Syllabus 2020 PDF – Download Assistant Engineer, Junior Engineer Exam Pattern Here. Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC) invites online applications from the eligible and talented contenders to fill 990 vacancies of Assistant Engineer, Junior Engineer posts. In this blog we discuss about the Syllabus and Exam Pattern for Public Works Department, Karnataka. Stay with us to get regular updates.
KPSC PWD Syllabus Details
Name of the Board
|Karnataka Public Service Commission|
Assistant Engineer, Junior Engineer (Group B & C)
|Application Starting Date||
17th August 2020
Application Last Date
|16th September 2020|
Syllabus & Exam Pattern
KPSC PWD Exam Pattern:
|Subjects||Total Marks||Time Duration|
|Specific Paper (Civil)||200||120 Minutes|
KPSC PWD Syllabus:
Covering General Knowledge topics relating to Current Events, General Science, Indian History, Indian Geography, Social Science, General Mental Ability, matters of every day observation and practical knowledge as may be expected of a person who as passed the prescribed qualifying examination.
Roads and Bridges:
- General- Importance of highway development, Highway economics and Highway financing and Highway system.
- Surveys – Highway planning surveys, location surveys and soil surveys, Presentation of data in terms of charts and tables (urban and rural areas), Highway plans and specifications.
- Highway Design – Geometric design – Rights of way, Highway capacity, design speeds, cross section, sight distances, grade line, alignments, channelisation, inter sections and inter changes, grade separators, rotary inter sections etc.,
- Highway Construction – Urban and Rural areas, economic principles: drainage of road way and road side and subsoil drainage and hydrology, hydraulical design principles, drainage structures.
- Highway Construction – Site Clearance, different types of road rollers, earth moving equipment and construction equipment, Modern highway practices of construction, Specifications for highway materials and construction.
- Highway Construction – Surface maintenance, shoulder and approach maintenance, snow and ice control, bridge and culvert maintenance etc., Traffic service and maintenance cost.
- ATE for design, Hydrologic investigations of the watershed area, Flood estimation for bridge water ways by Emperical formulas, Rational method, Probability method and Unit graph method.
- Practical rules of design and economic Span Types of Bridges such as Deck and through bridges, Bowstring, suspension and Moveable-span bridges.
- Design of floor system and different types of bearing specifications for Railway and Highway bridges.
- ii) Construction Technology and Management:
- Quantitative methods in construction.
- Construction, planning and control.
- Advances in construction materials.
- Construction in disaster prone areas.
- Rehabilitation of structures.
- Construction economics and finance.
- Construction management and computer application.
- Mechanisation in construction.
- State laws governing construction.
iii) Highway Engineering:
- General – Importance of highway development, Highway financing and Highway system.
- Surveys- Highway planning surveys, location surveys and soil surveys, Presentation of date in terms of charts and tables (urban and rural areas) Highway plans and specifications.
- Highway design- Geometric design – Rights of way, Highway capacity, design speeds, cross section, sight distances, grade line, alignment, channelisation, inter-section, etc.,
- Highway Drainage – Urban and Rural areas, economic principles drainage of roadway and road side and sub soil drainage and hydrology, hydraulical design principles, drainage structure.
- Highway Construction – Site clearance, different types of road rollers, earth moving equipment and construction equipment, Modern highway practices of construction, Specifications for highway materials and construction.
- Highways Maintenance- Surface maintenance, shoulder and approach maintenance, snow and ice control, bridge and culvert maintenance, etc., Traffic service and maintenance cost.
- Compound stesses and strains – Mohr’s Circle and its application. Compound strains, Principal strains, graphical solutions.
- Effects of temperature on Mechanical properties of materials.
- Theories of elastic failure.
- Strain Energy Methods – Deflection of simple trusses, strain every methods applied to simple beams and trusses.
- Castigliano’s Theorem I and its application to simple cases.
- Analysis of continuous beams, propped cantilevers, fixed beams, Slope-deflection equations and moment distribution.
- Three hinged arches, Lines of resistance through hinged arches under dead and live loads, Influence lines for horizontal thrust and bending moment. Reaction locus.
- Rolling loads-curves of maximum bending moments and maximum shear forces, the enveloping parabola and determination of equivalent uniformly distributed load under different system of loading.
- Influence lines of reaction, shear force, bending moment and deflection, Reversal of stress under live load, Williot-Mohr’s diagram.
- Determination of stresses in the members of the frames due to rolling loads – Influence lines.
- v) Public Health Engineering :
(a) Sanitary Engineering:
Drainage and Sewerage – Objects of Scheme – surface drainage, underground severage systems and the general arrangement of the several works, principles of design, Data to be collected, allowances for inclusions of the foul part of the rainfall, size velocity and gradients of sewers, Selection of suitable system and evolution of a scheme, design of the several necessary works of a sewer lines. Etc.
(b) Water Supply:
Value and Importance of water Supply – Domestic, Commercial and Public requirement – allowance for prospective population – variation in demand.
Quantity of Water – estimating the quantity of water for a town or city, considering various modifying influences affecting consumption per capita, Estimating the quantity of water available from a source (surface water from rainfall and catchments and underground water by pumping and other methods), Sources of Water – impounded, perennial streams, artesian wells, shallow wells, deep well and infiltration galleries.
Materials of Construction:
Stones, Timber, Bricks, Clay products, Ferrous metals, Non ferrous metals, Alloys, Cement, Coarse and fine aggregates, Mortar, Cement concrete, Paints, varnish and distempers, Miscellaneous and modern building materials.
Definition, principles of surveying, chain surveying, compass surveying, leveling, contouring, computation of area and volume, principles of Theodolite surveying, traversing and its plotting and applications. Trigonometrical levelling, tacheometry – principles and applications. Etc.
Composition and resolution of forces moments and their applications, parallel force and couples. Geometrical properties of sections.
Properties of materials — elasticity, plasticity, hardness, toughness, brittleness, ductility, creep, fatigue, stress, train, elongation, types of stresses and strains, elastic limit, Hooke’s law – stress strain diagram — working stress Etc.
Ingredients of concrete, water cement ratio, properties of fresh and hardened concrete, concept of design mix, methods of curing, admixtures. special concretes – high performance concrete, self compacting concrete, fiber reinforced concrete, high volume fly ash concrete, foam concrete and ready mix concrete,geo-polymer concrete. Working stress and limit state methods of designing of beam, slabs, columns and footings.
Estimating and Costing:
Introduction to estimation, specifications, analysis of rates, detailed and abstract estimate. detail estimates and abstract of cost of culverts, lined canal, tank weirs, tank sluice.
|For Online Test Series||Click Here|
|To Join Whatsapp ||Click Here|
|To Subscribe Youtube||Click Here|
|To Join Telegram Channel||Click Here|
|To Join Facebook||Click Here|