NEP – Here’s all you need to know about India’s new Education Policy. The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved a new education policy for the 21st century. The changes have been brought in the policy after 34 years. The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved a new education policy for the 21st century. The changes have been brought in the policy after 34 years.
A single regulator for higher education institutions, multiple entries and exit options in degree courses, discontinuation of MPhil programmes, low stakes board exams, common entrance exams for universities are among the highlights of the new National Education Policy (NEP) approved by the Union Cabinet on Wednesday. The Cabinet also approved changing the name of the HRD Ministry to Education Ministry.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a tweet
“I wholeheartedly welcome the approval of the National Education Policy 2020! This was a long due and much-awaited reform in the education sector, which will transform millions of lives in the times to come,”
New Education Policy: Highlights
- All higher education institutions, except legal and medical colleges, to be governed by a single regulator
- Common norms to be in place for private and public higher education institutions.
- MPhil courses to be discontinued.
- Board exams to be based on knowledge application
- Home language, mother tongue or regional language to be medium of instruction up to class 5
- Common entrance exams to be held for admission to universities and higher education institutions
- School curriculum to be reduced to core concepts; integration of vocational education from class 6
- Ensuring Universal Access at all levels of school education
- Early Childhood Care & Education with new Curricular and Pedagogical Structure
- Attaining Foundational Literacy and Numeracy
- Reforms in school curricula and pedagogy
- Multilingualism and the power of language
- Assessment Reforms
- Equitable and Inclusive Education
- Robust Teacher Recruitment and Career Path
- School Governance
- Standard-setting and Accreditation for School Education