Daily Current Affairs 2nd February 2023
Union minister unveiled the Visit India Year 2023
- Shri G. Kishan Reddy, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Development of North Eastern Region (DONER) launched the Visit India Year 2023 initiative and unveiled its logo at New Delhi on 31st January 2023.
- Visit India Campaign 2023 focused to highlight varied tourism offerings of our country and showcase them to the global tourists.
G20’s Cyber Security Exercise and Drill
- The Secretary, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Shri Alkesh Kumar Sharma inaugurated the G20 Cyber Security Exercise and Drill for more than 400 domestic and international participants under India’s G20 presidency.
- Meeting discussed about insights on enhancing and improving Crisis Management, Crisis Communication, Incident Response and global coordination & cooperation.
US-India initiative on Critical and Emerging Technologies (iCET)
- National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and his American counterpart Jake Sullivan formally launched the US-India initiative on Critical and Emerging Technologies (iCET).
- From this initiative “both countries are committed to fostering an open, accessible, and secure technology ecosystem, based on mutual trust and confidence that will reinforce our democratic values and democratic institutions”.
Yaya Tso is known as first Biodiversity Heritage Site in Ladakh
- The Biodiversity Management Committee, the panchayat of Chumathang village, along with SECURE Himalaya Project recently resolved to declare Yaya Tso as Ladakh’s first Biodiversity Heritage Site under the Biological Diversity Act.
- Yaya Tso is a nesting habitat for a large number of birds and animals, and a beautiful lake located at an altitude of 4,820 metres, has been proposed as Ladakh’s first biodiversity heritage site (BHS).
WhatsApp chatbot launched in Delhi
- The Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights launched its WhatsApp chatbot with Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia, terming it an important initiative to make governance citizen-friendly on 1st February 2023.
- The chatbot, called ‘Bal Mitra’, is an effort to enable two-way communication between people and the child rights panel.Some of the features of the chatbot include complaint registration, searching information and tracking complaint status, and seeking information on admissions.
Nagaland govt signs MoU with Patanjali Foods Ltd
- Nagaland government and Patanjali Foods Limited have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for development and area expansion under palm oil cultivation and processing for Zone-II (Mokokchung, Longleng and Mon districts) of Nagaland under the National Mission on Edible Oils-Oil Palm (NMEO-OP).
- According to Patanjali Foods Ltd, the signing of MoU with the Government of Nagaland will certainly bring a big boost for the oil palm growers in the state of Nagaland and the region.
A new robot has developed to clean oil tanks in Bangalore
- The robot that cleans oil tanks was developed by the startup company in Bangalore, Beta Tank Robotics Private Ltd.
- The newly developed robot can go from one tanker to another. It performs the job similarly to a vacuum cleaner. It can operate in oil tanks in petroleum refineries. So, it eliminates risk to human life. It’s the Oil India Limited funded the project.
Union Budget Statement 2023-2024
- Nirmala Sitharaman becomes the 6th finance minister of independent India to present five consecutive public budgets after Manmohan Singh, Arun Jaitley and Chidambaram.
- Features of Budget
- A new savings scheme called Mahila Samman will be launched at an interest rate of 7.5%.
- PAN card will be used as a public identity card for all government finance related activities.
- A new scheme called “PM Pranam” will be developed to promote natural fertilizers.
- Allocation of Rs.10, 000 crore for urban infrastructure development fund.
New director of NSIC (Finance) was appointed
- Gaurav Gulati is set to be the next Director (Finance) of National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC), a PSU under the Ministry of Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).
- He has been recommended for the post by the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) panel and Now he is serving as Executive Director in NBCC (India) Limited.
Dr Rajeev Singh Raghuvanshi appointed as a New Drugs Controller General of India
- Drug Controller General of India is a department under the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization. The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has recommended Dr Rajeev Singh Raghuvanshi as the new Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI).
- DCGI heads the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO), which is responsible for ensuring the quality of drug supply across the country. It also has the authority to give approval to new drugs and regulate clinical trials.
Lifetime Achievement Award by the India-UK Achievers Honors in London
- Former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award by the India-UK Achievers Honors in London for his contribution to economic and political life.
- The India-UK Achievers Honors by NISAU UK, in partnership with the British Council in India and the UK’s Department for International Trade (DIT), celebrates the achievements of Indian students who studied at British universities.
Women’s ICC T20 Bowler Rankings
- ICC has released the bowler list for the Women’s T20 tournament.
- In this list
- England’s Sophie Ecclestone has taken 1st place.
- Indian player Deepti Sharma is ranked 2nd place.
- South America’s Nonkululego Mlaba is ranked 3rd place.
India to host Volleyball World Championship for next two years
- The Volleyball World and the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) have announced India as the host for the men’s Club World Championship for years 2023, 2024.
- The Club World Championship is scheduled from December 6 to 10, 2023.The champions of the RuPay Prime Volleyball league will compete in the Club World Championship in 2023 and 2024 against some of the top teams from countries like Italy, Brazil and Iran.
Former Law Minister and senior advocate Shanti Bhushan passed away
- Shanti Bhushan,Former Law Minister and senior advocate, passed away on 31st January 2023 at the age of 97.
- He always stood for truth both as a Law Minister in the Morarji Desai Cabinet between 1977 and 1979.
- The 44th Constitution Amendment, “restore the Constitution to the condition it was in before the Emergency”, which was passed during his tenure.
World Wetlands Day 2023
- World Wetlands Day, celebrated every year on 2 February, and it aims to raise global awareness about the vital role of wetlands for people and the planet.
- This year’s theme is “It’s Time for Wetlands Restoration,” which highlights the urgent need to prioritize wetland restoration.